General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlamps

I have a 2014 XC60 which has the adaptive bi-xenon headlamps that create a 'shadow' around other cars but keeps the headlamps on high beam. I'm familiar with other adaptive lamps that do the same on my Audi A7 and Jaguar iPace, but these cars (and all others I can think of including BMW, Mercedes etc) use a matrix of individual LED lights and lenses to create the shadow effect.

As an engineer I'm curious how Volvo has managed to do the same functionality with xenon bulbs. I imagine that there is a something that pops up in front of the xenon bulb that can be moved and made larger and smaller to block out the correct amount of light to create the shadow, but I'd love to see how it's actually done.

Does anyone have a technical diagram or video of the inner workings of these lamps, or have opened one up and has pictures they can share?

Old 01-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Your 2014 with xenon bulbs moves the bulb up and down for high and low beam. (and they turn with the steering if that function is switched on) They do not get brighter, just the beam length is changed. A link on the suspension controls the height of the bulbs, a motor in each headlamp aims them higher for high beam. I have seen advertised, and have seen videos about the new LED headlamp technology where selective LEDs darken to avoid blinding drivers in the path of your lights - pretty cool technology (while it's still under warranty!) Your xenon headlamps don't do that.

My older M bmws had a shutter that blocked off the xenon beam to create high and low beam - the bulb was stationary - a replacement headlamp was about $1000 (covered under warranty) back in 2005.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to disagree, but the lights on my XC60 are 'Active' lights, that create a shadow to prevent dazzling, but with xenon bulbs. This YouTube video shows this function which Volvo call Active High Beam Control on a 2013 S60. That generation of S60 never had LED lights either, so it's doing the same thing but with xenons. This is the same technology that's on my XC60....

As can be seen in the video it uses the front facing camera at the top of the windscreen, with the radar in the front grille to determine when and what shape the shadow needs to be depending on cars in front.

Also I copied this from a 2014 XC60 brochure.

"And because you love driving, it’s good to know that your XC60 doesn’t just protect you – it actively supports you, too. Take Active High Beam. With this technology, your headlights stay on full beam all the time. When another car comes towards you (or you approach another car from behind), the system prevents dazzling the other driver by shading out only as much of your beam as necessary"

I see you're in the US, maybe this wasn't offered in your market at the time, I know legislation often defines what is and is not available in other countries.

So, I'd still like to know how it works mechanically inside the lamp unit. Cheers.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:17 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by milnei
I see you're in the US,
So sorry - I should have checked your location before my response - and yes those lamps were not allowed in the US - not sure about today but certainly not back then. In the US we were not allowed headlamp assemblies with replaceable bulbs until 1986!

The following users liked this post:
milnei (01-05-2022)