General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Advice needed: car in a barn find

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 PM
KLF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: car in a barn find

Greetings all:

Second post on this forum, hope I don't break any rules.

I do a lot of work with the local Habitat for Humanity, and we just took possession of a piece of property that was given to us, with the stipulation that we tear down the old house and barn, and build a new duplex of similar character. We started poking around the barn the other day, and we crawled past a blocked door and found this:

Not sure on the year, but I believe this is a '68 or '69 142S. Besides the obvious vandalism damage, it's in remarkable shape, looks like it hasn't moved in at least 20 years, if not more. The sheetmetal is almost rust-free, pretty incredible for a New England vehicle of this vintage. Approx. 114K miles on it. I found some notes scribbled on the wall of the barn when it was maintained, oil changes, belts, etc. It's a shame that some kids smashed out all the glass, but what bothers me the most is the big dent in the otherwise pristine front grille. Some moron thought he had to pry up the hood, I guess. The inside of the trunk is incredible, it looks (and smells!) factory-new. The engine has had some significant oil leaks for some time, but that kept it from rusting too badly. Who knows if it's salvagable, but I understand these are very durable engines. Dual Stromberg carbs.

There are no rips or tears in the seats that I can see. The dash is a little whacked, but I think all the parts are there. Only obvious damage is the messed up panel on the passenger door.

More pics:

I know very little about older Volvos, but I'm a pretty competent wrencher (have been working on cars all my life, currently in the middle of a total frame-off restoration on my '87 Toyota 4WD pickup). We are looking for advice on how to best deal with this, we really don't want to just send it to the scrapyard. Some extra money to help defray the asbestos abatment on the teardown would also be nice too.

Any idea on an asking price? I figured I'd try the local craigslist first, or maybe eBay too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

eBay & craigslist for no longer than a month. Post the links here and other Volvo forums if you have time. DON'T WASTE A PENNY ON A CAR THAT HAS SAT FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS. I believe all rubber parts are worthless and the car has no value. It would cost way to much to even get it started. Send the craigs list people to eBay for a 7 day auction, if it doesn't sell there put a $300 tag on it and take $100 if you are offered it.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 AM
KLF

Wow. That's not what I wanted to hear. So much for found treasure.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM

is this car by chance still available ? I would be interested.

thanks

Mike in CT

Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM
KLF

Update: I put it up on craigslist, asking $500/BO, just to see what would happen. A repair shop just up the road that specializes in Volvos gave us $400, and even better they came and trailered it away. We had to drag it out on the flat tires, but even in the sunlight the body still looked pretty decent. The buyer really knew these cars well, he had a similar one on his lot for sale that he just finished restoring. He wasn't sure what he would do with it, he needed to get it up on a lift and look underneath. No idea what became of it.