General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Advice v70 xc

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice v70 xc

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a replacement for my passat estate that’s on 230k and seen better days. I did have my heart set of a bmw 5 series estate, however I went in my friends 2002 v70xc and was blown away by the comfort and layout. I loved it. It’s got all the room in the back I need and a good towing vehicle which is a bonus because we have a caravan. His is a 2.5 petrol (could be a 2.4) but he has had it lpg concerted.

So, I plan on doing the same. However, I always like to research cars before I buy just so I am knowledgable.

So what things should I look out for? Any particular problems these cars suffer with?

Any year/specific engine to avoid or any to find if I can?

My budget is £3000-£4000

Thankyou in advance

Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 AM

I too am in search of a Volvo. My budget is $4,000 USD.

I've owned v70 wagons an 850 GLT.......I currently own a 3 series BMW estate (wagon) and a Passat estate (wagon).

The v70 turbo 5 cylinder engine will have a heck of alot more power than BMW 6 cylinder engine. The BMW engines cooling system fluid capacity is rediculously small for towing/hauling heavy loads during the heat of summer.....especially with the a/c turned on.

In comparison to the Passat, again, the Volvo will have more power, more interior space, will tow and haul heavier loads. The 4motion (AWD) transmission in the Volkswagen is alot more expensive to repair/replace than the Volvo AWD transmissions, though I think the Volvo transmissions are NOT as durable as the Volkswagens.

The Volvo electronics are more reliable than either Volkswagen and BMW electronics. Infact, I think VW and BMW electronic systems are overly complicated an when one electronic system begins to malfunction, it's like opening a can of worms trying to perform the repairs yourself.

They are all high priced repair vehicles, though in my opinion, the Volvo will out last BMW & Volkswagen........needing the same basic car maintenance, the Volvo will have less actual mechanical repairs....................the VW and BMW cooling systems are made up of mostly plastic pieces. When one piece fails, you replace it, then another, and another. It's like a chain reaction.

All that being said, I'd go with the Volkswagen Estate Estate based solely on the looks of the vehicle. I LOVE the way VW Estates look. Especially in black colored paint.

I do most repairs myself, all three cars require knowledge of OBD system and a computer or scanner with software which communicates with the vehicles ECM......the Volkswagen is more complicated and requires (in most cases to be effective) a computer uploaded with VAGcom (Volkswagen Audi Group) diagnostics software.

1) Reliability=Volvo
2) Comfort =BMW
3) Style= Volkswagen

Last edited by 1.8TTony; 11-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 PM

What year is your passat? Is it a b6?

I’m really set on a Volvo XC70 tbh. Think you get loads of car for the money