General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

AUTOMOTIVE CARPET HUNT

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUTOMOTIVE CARPET HUNT

i wanna find someautomotive carpet by the roll to do the floorpan carpet in my volvo and my neon, but i don't know where to look and google only takes me to places to buy the molded carpets or shops that do the work.problem is they don't have the color i want and i don't want to pay someone to do something i can do myself.anybody know???[/align][/align]

Old 11-15-2008, 05:37 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AUTOMOTIVE CARPET HUNT

The reason you cannot find carpet by the yard for an auto is simply because all autos use molded carpet.............prior and in the 50's and 60's carpet was sewn but when centre consoles were installed in autos the carpet HAD to be molded. Look at the inside of your c70 and look at all the contours. Lastly.............take your socks off for gods sake!

r.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 PM

LOL! i like socks.

ok, so my next question ishow is this auto upholstry guy gonna do to custom make my carpet for this car?

only volvo has the carpet molded and i can't get it in red. this guy claims he's gonna have to custom make it for me. i know he's gonna have to steam the carpet to mold it to the floor pan, but where is he getting the material from??

Old 11-17-2008, 03:48 PM
reg

Years ago J.C. Whitney sold carpet by the yard. I used to buy from them by the yard. Check to see if they still have it. Eastwood sells restoring material..............I have not seen carpet in their cataloguesbut I'll bet a telephone call to them will net you a name of a distributor. Yes, you can steam the carpet but the "real" deal is molded from forms made to the exact contour of the floor pan. California Car Cover Company makes custom mats............I'll bet they could sell you carpet by the yard.

Are your socks argyles??

r.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 PM

yeah, that's what i was thinking today.
i guess my next stepwas to call ACC mats and ask them where they get the material from. if they won't tell me then i'll just have to buy some raw material from them and i'm sure it won't be cheap. i'll check JC whitney and eastwood while i'm at it.

for the record, i like nike cotton dry fit, low cut ankle socks

Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Have you thought about having the carpet dyed? Might work and save you some money.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
reg

But don't forget that it is not going to look as good as factory molded. As for dyed carpets...I believe that Volvo uses synthetic material and dye will not penetrate the fibre.

I heard a Marine wears Nikes so as to cover the fact that they paint their toe nails.

r.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 PM

and i heard that only guys name Reg dream about giving pedicures to big guys in the military that paint their toe nails. LOL

the carpet in there right now has been destroyed by whom ever owned it before me. my car started life as a lease vehicle for some company in jacksonville FL back in 2000. so dying is not an option.

i tried JC Whitney, ebay, google and alot of places and i did find one place on the net that sells the red, cut pile automotive carpet by the yard called automotiveinteriors.com. and they seem to be the way to go. now i need to figure out how much carpet i'm gonna need since they can only sell 5 yrds at a time.

the carpets in the C70 are sectioned in 3 pieces, so i have to figure out the amount needed.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM
reg

The carpet runs in 36 inch lengths but you have to call and find out the width. It may be 20 inch widths. You can do the math from there.

Now you have to understand that Reg was a lieutenantfor two tours in Vietnam. Reg could paper a wall with purple hearts........many clusters. Army guys never had time to give pedicures as we were too busy showing the Marine which end of the weapon the bullets came out of...........

For those guys never in the service, I truly doubt that they would understand the interservice rivalry. Hang in there Eater......let's 're-up' and lock and load.

r.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL the comments are WAY TO FUNNY!!!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM

haha!!! that is funny Reg thats awsome that you can cover a wall with purple hearts and was involved in real combat. you have to understand that Marines are either smart or strong and Tech will tell you that i look pretty strong i was also in combat in iraqi freedom in 2003, no injuries, but i do have combat action and presidential citations. i salute you Sir, iraq was crazy and exciting, but vietnam must have been bannanas. i didn't get to play with any napalm [>:]

A in't
R eady for
M arines
Y et...with your fancy guns and toys and good chow halls lol

Name:  uniform002.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  43.4 KB
Name:  uniform001.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  58.8 KB

Old 11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
reg

..........and then there was I and I. The VC and Laotians were nasty little people.

Any luck on the carpet??

r.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:07 AM

nah Reg, no I and I duty for me, just 8 years i i got his stuff.

no luck with the carpet except for that one sit e i found, so now i need to wait for the money to come in.