General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Aux LED lights Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux LED lights Wiring Question

Bought some pretty decent LED Daytime Running lamps that I'm fitting into the bumper. I'm pretty capable of doing most anything myself when it comes to working on things or modifying things, but I'm not too confident with electrical work.

Girlfriend opened the box and "misplaced" the wiring diagram. I was in a rush mounting the lights today so I didn't want to rush the wiring. It's a simple Black/Red wire system.

I found a good ground, but I'm wondering what the best power source would be. I want the ability to turn them on and off. Preferably I'd wire a dedicated switch but that confuses me even more.

What would be the best way to wire them to, say, the foglights????

Thanks

Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me doing it, I would pick up power from the fuse panel inside the vehicle. I would purchase something like "add-a-circuit" or a piggyback fuse holder to tie into the panel. From there, run some wire to where I want to mount the switch, then run wire up to the LEDs. That way I am not splicing into the factory wires and if I need to remove it for whatever reason I won't be left with a mess. If I wanted to really dress it up I would pick up some wire loom to cover the wire.

If you want to pick up power from the foglights you could.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the wiring diagram/data-sheet from the MFG; they probably have on-line PDF version.

LEDs are not like traditional light bulbs. If you buy a decent LED, they come with data-sheet with source voltage, normal-max current allowed (however, the kit may be pre-assembled for easy installation) and brightness in either Candela or Lumen.

LEDs also have polarities and if reverse-biased, they will not illuminate or worse, would burn out. Even if you forward-bias them, an over current can fry them.

High-power LEDs must be fired with driver circuit, which is probably integrated in the kit. I usually use Current Regulating Diode (CRD), which allows you to fire an LED without worrying about the source voltage. To use CRDs, however, you still need to know the current rating of the LED.

This may be too detailed an information and the kit should be pre-assembled for easy installation. However, I would still get the wiring diagram, even if I had to contact the MFG or ask the parts shop to see if they can get you a photocopy from another package.

JPN

Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM

So if I got one of the "add a circuit" things I would have constant power, correct?

What would be the easiest way to run a dedicated switch for them? I've wired lights before but with help, I'd be doing this on my own before I leave town for Christmas break.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
JPN

I believe the kit you bought should be ready-to-install so it should have an integrated driver unit into it, so you wouldn't need anything extra to install the kit. It would probably have two wires, red & black. If you can post a photo(s) of the kit you bought or write down the product name, I can search and see what kind of kit it is.

As to the switch, it is up to your likes. If you want to make it look like an OEM installation, you would have to find a switch that matches the dash (meaning you would have to cut a hole on the dash for the switch). If you had enough time, you could have found a perfect switch at:

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor

Sadly, I don't believe you have enough time to get the switch delivered before your trip. Go with 01_fast_ride's advice so as not to cut into the factory wiring.

JPN

Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I got one of the "add a circuit" things I would have constant power, correct?
I would suggest getting switched power (keyed with the ignition) as your source, example: fuse panel. That way, just like the fog lights, you can control ON/OFF but also not worry about leaving them on. They would be DRLs more or less that could be turned on/off with your switch. If you want something that can turn on or off regardless of the ignition then source from the battery.

I drew a very crude drawing to help. No, you don't need two spools of wire.

Name:  ZZEBc.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  52.4 KB

Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Ah, gotcha! Thanks so much yall, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna go ahead and do what you did in the picture. I'm not too worried what the switch looks like, and I've got a few blank spaces for down by the Active HID and Park Assist switches.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
JPN

I hope it all goes well.

JPN

Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks