General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

AWD System?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD System?

Hello Vovo Folks,

Have put a few hours in before I decided to check in which was zipzip.
Very fine Forum I believe & Tech is awesome to say the least. Just hope one is in Fl if we buy a V70.
We bought a Honda CRV awd abt 6 mo ago & it has managed to get G ma out of the 93 Suburban(190k mi) at least some of the time. Sense she liked the Vee so much thought I might even get one for myself & sell my 98 Jeep Cherokee.

She has traveled one short trip to Orlando & back abt 8-9yrs ago in a Volvo wagon & has never forgot how nice it was. She still points them out in the traffic wherever we go across the country. Now if I can manage the right wagon she'll give me the Vee & agree(hope) to sell the big fuel consumer.

In my study here I find that an angle gear in some part of the drive system is $1800(ouch) & thanx to Tech a Throttle Body is $1000+. Tires rubbing something is simply unexcuseable in any machine. But our monthly fuel cost overshadows all this & something must give.[:-]

Still must learn a lot before we commit to $20k or so for a good V70 & so wish we could have a diesel.

Have not been able to find how the AWD works & would like to see a breakdown or schematic somewhere that shows it's parts & operation. Does it work like the Honda?
How does it do in the snow & how abt sand like we have here in Fl.

Thanx for any info,

Gben

Old 05-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: AWD System?

I wish I could get a break down for you but I cant anymore.
They handle great in the snow.I would assume the same in the sand.I have not tested them myself in the conditions but wish that I have.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx Tech,

I'm asking because our little CRV has literally stuck itself in the loose sugar sand we have around here.
The front turns a shaft going to the rear that powers a pump in the diff. The rear powers a 2nd pump that opposes pressure from the 1st pump. As long as front & rear pumps keep same pressure nothing between them moves to engage a clutch that then powers the rear wheels.
If a front wheel spins 1/2 turn or more pressure jumps up forward of the clutch & kicks in the rear wheels. But front wheel must continue to spin in order to keep rear wheels working. If not the help from the rear wheels will only last for a few seconds.
Going across areas of sand like this is fine unless it gets a little deeper & needs more power. And if so the rear will cut in just enough to stop front from spinning, the cycle starts over & after 3-5 or so times the pogo effect has slowed the vehicle too much & it cannot continue.
To worsen the situation Honda chose to install a thermometer in the diff that pops open a valve to bypass all pressure if the given temp is exceeded. So after a few cycles(only honda know how many=secret) the Real Time becomes no time at all.
Now the 05 has changed the front spin exciter to something like 1/20th of a rotation which is supposed to solve it all. But I cannot agee sense the temp valve is still with us.
Less tq in slippery condidtions keeps temps down but versa on sandy surfaces.

They're very good little vehicle but their awd is very limited & one of the reasons we're trying to learn abt the Volvo XCV70 which only weighs 200lbs more with 37 more hp. The mpg at the EPA site meet & in some cases exceed those of the CRV, 4cyl of course.

Thanx, more ??? later,

Gben

Old 05-30-2005, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The AWD system as far as I know works all the time below 30MPH and then kicks in when needed above 30 MPH.There is a drive shaft running from front to back to drive the rear axles.