General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Buying advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice please

Hello all. I've been looking around to pick up a second car for our family and became interested in the 850/S70 after test driving a couple. I can't spend a lot of money so I'm looking at older higher mileage models. My priorities are reliability and low cost of ownership (ie decent gas mileage and reasonable maintenance/repair expense). I also live in Vermont so it needs to be good in the winter.

From reading the forums, I've learned that it's important to closely follow the maintenance schedule and as much as possible, to do your own repairs to keep the expenses down. Also, as much as I'd love to buy a turbo, I think my priorities are pointing me to an NA model.

Which brings me to the point of this posting. I've recently test driven two cars I'd like some advice on:

1) 1997 850 Sedan, nonturbo, auto, very well maintained, complete records. Will need tires and possibly exhaust work. Broken door hinge. 155,600 miles. Asking $3500

2) 1998 S70 Sedan, nonturbo, auto, questionable maintenance history. Will need tires, brakes, alignment, and probably timing belt and other neglected preventive maintenance. 94,000 miles. Asking $5,500

I think both prices are negotiable. So my sense is that the better maintained 850 is probably a safer bet than the S70 despite the mileage difference. However, I did prefer the look and feel of the S70 so how risky would the S70 be realizing that I would need to catch up with some of the deferred maintenance?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Default RE: Buying advice please

#1. Both prices must come down if you decide to buy either one.

If you really like the S70 that much, I would advise you to wait a couple more months until you find the "perfect" one because frankly, the one you're looking at looks like it's been beat to hell.

As to the 850, it sounds as though it's been treated very very well. Is the hinge actually broken where the door can't open? And exhaust work is relatively cheap if you can find a good shop. Around here, you can get a larger exhaust system put in (don't do this on a NA car), for around $150.

So when you ask me my opinion, If you need to buy a vehicle right now, I'd get the 850 and wouldn't even think about it. The price needs to come down but it sounds like a very nice car.

On the other hand, the s70 seems like on top of the $5500 asking price, you're looking at at least another grand in maintenance (not to mention if something breaks).

Old 08-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Welcome to the forum. I am glad to see you searched before posting.

2. Out of the two you mentioned I would go with the 850 over the s70. However if you really like the s70 wait if you can till a better one shows up.

3. I put the 850 into the KBB website and the mileage and the price they are offering you is almost $2k under the retail value. Now if you take into account you will need four new tires and an exhaust system the price should be lowered some.

4. For exhaust work I would suggest going to a local shop and having them fab you up a system. Shouldn't cost more then $300 or so.

5. As for tires look on Discount Tire Direct, they have FREE Shipping available. You can get decent tires for good prices.

6. Where in Vermont. I used to visit Vermont a lot when I was younger.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think you're right about the S70 having led a hard life. Unless they're willing to go way down on price, I'll pass on it.

The hinge on the 850 didn't seem to affect the door opening or closing at all. I've read about a weld that commonly fails in the hinge area (and can be fixed with a couple of bolts) so I'm wondering if that's the problem. There were a couple of other minor issues with the car (floppy sunvisor and burned out dash bulbs) but it drove pretty nicely. 155,000 sure seems like a lot of miles but I guess not for a Volvo.

I live in the Burlington area in Vermont. Any other forum members around here?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jwhvt

Thanks for the replies! I think you're right about the S70 having led a hard life. Unless they're willing to go way down on price, I'll pass on it.

The hinge on the 850 didn't seem to affect the door opening or closing at all. I've read about a weld that commonly fails in the hinge area (and can be fixed with a couple of bolts) so I'm wondering if that's the problem. There were a couple of other minor issues with the car (floppy sunvisor and burned out dash bulbs) but it drove pretty nicely. 155,000 sure seems like a lot of miles but I guess not for a Volvo.

I live in the Burlington area in Vermont. Any other forum members around here?
Ah. That's what I thought. There is a fix for the hinge. It's a crack or something when you open/shut the door correct? It's a simple fix, but make the owner believe it's going to be expensive.

Does the a/c work well?
Burnt out dash bulbs are a cheap although timely repair.

155,000 is a lot of miles, but If you're spending 2-3 grand, can you really ask for much more? I don't like the prices of either (I find them to be high), but if you are a good bargainer, then you can probably pick these up for a major steal.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings from a semi-Vermonter. I'm currently stuck in Narita, Japan.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for doing a bit of search before posting a question.

I have lived in Vermont for 5.5 years. Graduated from Green Mountain College in Poultney, have friends scattered across the state & New England region. The lake Champlain & the Adirondack mountain in the backgroundare simply breathtaking.

I agree to both S70driver & RedTurbo in every bit of their opinions. If you could wait a bit, I would wait till a well-maintained S70 shows up. Even though both cars are noted for durability, they fall apart if the owners didn't follow the scheduled maintenance and didn't take good care. Be sure to verify the timing belt has been replaced at every 70,000 miles or 5 years, as the engine will be done if the belt breaks while the engine is running. If not done, that would be the top priority.

With proper care, 850 & S70 are noted go over 200,000 or even 300,000 miles. But again, it all depends on how the car has been treated, and in my personal opinion, only about 15% (or less) of drivers take proper care of their cars, if at all.

You will find several problems within the first few weeks of ownership. Luckily, there is Volvoforums.com where you can learn a lot about your car.

I'll leave you with my post, which may give you what to expect in repair/servicing:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

I wish you luck in finding a decent Volvo.

Good day!

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/3EC5D3D39A3A4594BFBA141318644AFA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Thanks for all of the excellent information including the link to your repair/servicing posting. Missed out on an 850 5 spd today but I'll keep looking.

Your attached picture looked familiar... I'll try including another one..

[IMG]local://upfiles/11620/68B5A4D6F8CD4CEA8966943325A905B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 AM

I noticed one of the cars you described is on the VT craigslist. Also check out the Albany NY and Western Ma Craigslist . a lot more Volvos in those areas and the asking prices are generally lower. I recently helped a neighbor adopt a 1999 V-70 with 97K on the clock and every service record from day 1. He paid $3800 and got a mounted set of nearly new studded Nokia Happelitas to go with it.

The best situation is to buy a used Volvo from someone who has bought a new one. The Volvo fans generally keep thier cars well maintained.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Rickc10ny

I noticed one of the cars you described is on the VT craigslist. Also check out the Albany NY and Western Ma Craigslist . a lot more Volvos in those areas and the asking prices are generally lower. I recently helped a neighbor adopt a 1999 V-70 with 97K on the clock and every service record from day 1. He paid $3800 and got a mounted set of nearly new studded Nokia Happelitas to go with it.

The best situation is to buy a used Volvo from someone who has bought a new one. The Volvo fans generally keep thier cars well maintained.
Great idea, thanks. I am checking out the NH listings as well. Unfortunately, I can't afford the time to take lengthy road trips but some of the locations aren't too far away.

A well maintained < 100k '99 for $3800 sure does sound like a good deal. I'll keep looking.....