General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Check Engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light on

Hello

I just replaced my battery and after several days my check engine light came on yesterday. I want to AutoZone and they found two codes: One code is P2098 (Definition: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2, Explanation: Lean Air Fuel Ration- Check Fuel System Probable Causes; 1- Vaccum Leak on engine, 2- MAF Sensor Fault, 3- Air leak near sensor or failed sensor. Second code is P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1, same Explanation.

I changed out my spark plugs to new spark plugs, I added Techiron Fuel System Clean when I fill up with Chevron 93 gas.
Any ideal on the two codes

Thanks so much!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Check Engine light on

Hi Marcus,

Is this still on your 2002 S80? Is S80 forum crowded with helpful people, or is it quiet?

The two codes seem to be triggered by emissions sensors, most likely the O2 sensors (not sure how many O2 sensors are equipped on the 2002 S80) or fuel/ignition/emission control system problem. Vacuum leak may cause the codes to appear, as well as MAF sensor.

When was the last time that the car had a good tune-up? Doing the plugs & adding Techron isn't sufficient for that type of problem. If the ignition components are of original, I would test them with a digital multimeter (plus a service manual). Remember, all too often automotive problems are due to neglect; people not reading the owner's manual or not following scheduled maintenance. Most people visit shops only for oil & tyres, and other than that they wait until something breaks.

Does your S80 have DIS (Direct/Distributorless Ignition System; each coil on top of each spark plug)? If not, I would replace the distributor cap, rotor and ignition wires. Also, replace fuel filter, air filter, check EGR system, clean/service if necessary. Clean the throttle body as well, but be careful with cleaning chemical if your car has DBW (Drive-By-Wire; throttle plate controlled by an electric motor rather than mechanical cable).

So, let us know the service condition of your car so we can narrow down the possible problems (or Tech may already have solutions)

JPN

Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Hi JPN

I haven't had a tune my car. Yes my car has the DIS Direct/Distributorless Ignition System; each coil on top of each spark plug. The only thing that I have done to the motor is replace the spark plugs and several months ago I replaced all the belts. That's all I have done. My car wouldn't start one morning so that's why I had purchased a new battery.The next day it wouldn't start, so I took it to a volvoservice place and they just jump it off.Nowthecheck engine light is on andwhen I'msettingwaiting a light to go, my caract is if it want toturn itself off.

Thanksfor your help JPN

Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Markus,

Engine/starting problem is one of the most annoying & inconvenient problems of all, been there & done that myself.

Before Moderator Tech can reply to you with more accurate replies, I would do the following:

1. Disconnect the air induction hose from the throttle housing, inspect the throttle body for cleanliness. If dirty, clean the inside with a tooth brush & fuel system/carburetor cleaner spray that is safe for O2 sensors and catalytic converter. Open the throttle valve manually, if it's not DBW, and spray & scrub clean the inside as well.

2. Check & clean the EGR valve.

3. Tell us the brand name of the battery, as well as how much it was. Cheap/franchise batteries can give you troubles, and I myself do not buy anything other than the Interstate Battery. A decent battery costs around $100.

4. Pour a large bottle of Techron cleaner again and fill up the tank with 91 or higher octane petro (gas).

5. Tell us what brand's spark plugs you've used. In general, genuine Volvo plugs are the best choice. There does not seem to be OEM for the plugs; seems that the plugs are manufactured by Volvo (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

6. Check the idle control system, mostly the idle boost/control valve (if so equipped).

7. Disconnect the negative battery cable, wait for 20 minutes. Re-connect the cable and with ALL electrical devices turned off, start the engine and let it idle for 10 minutes or so. Modern cars need to re-learn correct idle parameters once the battery has been disconnected.

This is all I can think of with my limited knowledge on the S80.

Good luck, will wait for your reply.

JPN

Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Hello JPN

Thanks for the info....I will perform all your steps. The name of the battery is Deka. I purchased the battery from a Volvo Disassembly place. As I was leaving I drop the battery but it started right up, my start right up without any issues now. I just being honest with you....I'm not sure what's thebrand of spark plugs. My brother replaced this for me. I'm trying my best not to spend any more cash at a repair shop.

Thanks Again for your help!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Bosch is the maker of the OEM plugs.
You might have a bad O2 sensor.
Or a bad Mass flow sensor.