General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Clicking when engine stopped

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Clicking when engine stopped

Hi
Although I`m a newby on the forum I have had nothing but Volvos since 1971
all of which have been great, best ever a 740 estate with 32300 miles on the clock and still going strong when I sold it.
The V70 D5 is a different matter however. The latest thing is a rapid clicking sound from around the engine management system. this goes of for about 5 minutes and then reduces to a click every second or so and does not stop until the door key or any other switch is operated when it goes back to the rapid clicking again. There is no fan fitted in the management box and the sound is not made by the computer unit.
Also the car has started to exhibit rough running intermittently which is enough to cause cruse to disengage.
A recent bulb failure did not show up on the dash, and I`m wondering if these problems are related to the computer system.
Volvo engine bashers shake their heads and say " Don`t know what it is,but it `aint good."
Got any ideas?
Johnr.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Under Computer Management System when car is off, draining battery

I have the same issue on my 2002 V70 X/C, I've been getting the dreaded El System Maintenance error recently, and the battery has been slow to charge. I noticed that clicking noise under the computer management system as well, doesn't appear to come from it, but under it. Had the alternator refurbished twice in the last year, and the error continues to come and go. Recently left my car unused for a week, and the battery was dead. Load tested the battery and it is fine. Noticed that when I do a voltage test directly on the batter when the car is running it slowly trickles down around 11.92v. But, when I test at the connection posts in the engine compartment, it only reads about 4v. I'm getting ready to throw in the towel and buy a new alternator, but then noticed this clicking when the car had been off for hours, and am wondering if maybe it is the actual culprit. Anyone experienced this and figured it out?

Old 11-08-2022, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

kind of hard to follow what you are seeing but the voltage regulator will open/close to avoid overcharging the battery. When you say system maintenance, have you scanned for fault codes? Back to the sound - can you listen around and find the source? it seems like there's a relay being energized then releasing (voltage regulators do have relays so I'd give a listen there to start). Next is to check the wiring/cabling between the battery and alternator.

If it does in fact turn out to be altnerator related, I'd check for two things 1) that the current alternator is correct for your model/engine 2) that the voltage regulator is correct and well. Good news is you should be able to replace the voltage regulator separately from the alternator so if the alternator bench tests good, you can swap out the regulator separately. here's a link to Tasca Parts (a dealer web store in RI) for a genuine Volvo voltage regulator 8637851