Dead Volvosaur

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Volvosaur

I have an 1983 240DL, and it's dead. Here is my situation:

Last Friday night my car wouldn't start. We jumped the battery, and that got it working. I was able to drive it home; however I had to keep all the lights off because if they were on, the car would make sputtering sounds until it nearly died. Black smoke was coming out of the exhaust. It also smelled like the car was burning a lot of oil. Once I turned the engine off, it wouldn't start again. The next day we discovered that one of the drive belts (connects alternator and water pump) had broken and fallen off. We placed that belt and put in a new battery. My car was running again, but it was still making the sputtering sounds and blowing black smoke. Two days later the car died while I was coming to a red light. Jumping the battery did not work. We had the battery tested and recharged. Unfortunately my car still isn't starting even though the battery is good. When the key is turned, the car sounds like it's trying to start, but it never catches or turns over. My car is still dead. I'm guessing the problem is either the starter or alternator.

Other less serious problems: the speedomoter and odometer don't work, the (auto) tranny is very slow shifting into 3rd, and the engine makes a knocking sound when accelerating.

If anyone can give me some insight to any of these problem (mainly the first one), I would really appreciate it. I love Volvos, and this car is my only means of transportation. I'd like to have it working again. Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Dead Volvosaur

Black smoke means running to rich or to much gas.

That is usually caused by a vaccum leak or a bad mass flow sensor or something like that.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:54 PM

If it is turning over but not starting now, there are a few things to look at. Here's a brief list:

spark plugs(not likely the problem)
fuel filter(possible)
fuel pump relay(very possible)
fuel pump(very possible)
fuses(possible the cause of other problems)

Your starter is fine, because it is turning the engine over when you turn the key. Your alternator is fine because your batter is holding a charge. Honestly it sounds like your computer may be faulty. Tranny not shifting right, improper idle, dying at traffic lights, hmmmmm. All these things can be caused by a computer not keeping control the engine's fuel/spark/tranny systems. I'm sure your speedometer and odometer are mechanical, and that baffles me a little. And a knocking sound when accelerating. What does that knock sound like? Hammer hitting metal? Popping sound? Does it feel like it's trying to accelerate and when the engine misses is the knocking sound more pronounced? Keep us informed.

Matthew

Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 PM

Ah crap, I just noticed the year. I'm not sure if your car is even computerized. Please disregard all the computer stuff if your car isn't computer controlled. Crap.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: matthewensey

If it is turning over but not starting now, there are a few things to look at. Here's a brief list:

spark plugs(not likely the problem)
fuel filter(possible)
fuel pump relay(very possible)
fuel pump(very possible)
fuses(possible the cause of other problems)

Your starter is fine, because it is turning the engine over when you turn the key. Your alternator is fine because your batter is holding a charge. Honestly it sounds like your computer may be faulty. Tranny not shifting right, improper idle, dying at traffic lights, hmmmmm. All these things can be caused by a computer not keeping control the engine's fuel/spark/tranny systems. I'm sure your speedometer and odometer are mechanical, and that baffles me a little. And a knocking sound when accelerating. What does that knock sound like? Hammer hitting metal? Popping sound? Does it feel like it's trying to accelerate and when the engine misses is the knocking sound more pronounced? Keep us informed.

Matthew

1983 should be cable driven speedo,and transmission.The computer doesnt control the transmission till about 1992 or 1993 on the 940's

There are gears in the speedo that break.

The knocking could be a bad driveshaft carrier.