General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

COINCIDENCE OR ......???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COINCIDENCE OR ......???

FIRST OFF LET ME SAY THANKS FOR THIS WEBSITE, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I OWN A 1998 V70 WAGON AND I LOVE IT, ALTHOUGH I DON'T DRIVE IT TOO MUCH AS IT'S MY WIFE AND BABY'S CAR.
HERE IS WHAT I WANT TO GET OFF MY CHEST. I TOOK IT IN TO A VOLVO ONLY SHOP TO HAVE THE A/C LOOKED AT. IT WASN'T BLOWING COLD ANYMORE. WHEN IT WAS THERE I HAD A TUNE UP DONE AS WELL. GOT THE CAR BACK AND THE NEXT DAY THE "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" COMES ON. CAR RUNS FINE AND TO SOME PEOPLE AS LONG IT RUNS OK THEY WON'T WORRY ABOUT THE LIGHT..BUT NOT ME..IT'S AMAZING WHAT A LITTLE ORANGE LIGHT WILL DO TO YOU, IT KILLS ME. I CAN'T STAND IT. NOW MY QUESTION IS, COULD SOMETHING HAVE HAPPENED DURING THE THE REPAIRS OR IS THERE SOMETHING A MECHANIC IS ABLE TO DO TO MAKE THE LIGHT COME ON. I DON'T WANT TO OPEN UP A CAN OF WORMS HERE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW OTHERS OUT THERE FEEL ABOUT THIS. THANKS FOR LISTENING.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: COINCIDENCE OR ......???

Take it back and ask them to pull the code. They probably could have done something. Has the light come on previously? It does not take much for that light to come on. I just bought an ODB-II code reader at Auto Zone for $70 so I can read my own codes. It could be something as simple as a lose gas cap.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. It has never gone on before, since i got the car in November anyway. It is my understanding that fixing the problem will not clear the "cel", only the OBD II will? Am I correct? So even if it is only a gas cap and I tighten it, I still need the reader to clear the light.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that is true, but since you just had it to the dealer I would think they would read the code, tell you what it is and erase it or fix what is wrong. Since it has never come on before and you just had it in the shop, I would want to know what it's saying. Autozone will read it for free too it you want to know. Some of them will reset it and others will not.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is possible that something might have been hit or something to cause the light to come on.
I would take it back and tell them that as soon as you left the light came on.
I would also say I couldn't get abck here till now because of APPOINTMENTS that had to be filled.

Or just stop by auto zone and let them pull the codes.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:03 PM

Is the "check engine light" only connected to anything that has to do with emissions? Meaning even if a spark plug was missing, the "cel" will not come on? Only to matters of emission related things? or should I say only things connected through the computer system of our cars. I say this because I got home and first thing checked the gas cap..I'm not 100% sure but it sure felt like it was a little off, know what I mean? If that's it, and I hope it is, then I just need the light cleared and call it that. I really can't believe that shop would actually do something like this. Of course I have no way of proving to them this..but believe I will think thrice before going back for anything. They've pick the wrong customer to do that trick on. Mechanics/Customers out there beware!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator

The check engine light is connected to many many things.It will tell you if a cylinder is missfiring due to a bad plug,wires or being wet.When the car missfires the check engine light will flash.It is connected to a hundred or more things.

If the cap felt loose it could very well be that.Also don't fuel the car while it is running or it might do it to.

It is very hard to guess till there is a code to go by.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:02 PM

So I went to Autozone and rented the scanner. Code came back P0455 Evap Emission Control System Leak (Large). What does that sound like to you guys? To me, in my scenario, it was the gas cap. I just can't believe that shop in Berkeley, Ca. [:@] Being the evil me, I almost want to set the "CEL" on again and go back to see what they say the code is. I don't think I'll do that, I won't go or recommend that shop to anyone. Thank you for letting me vent.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the gas cap to me as well.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:33 PM

My "Check Engine" light is on as well. I took it to a Volvo only mechanic who said that there may be a small (but very unharmful) hole somewhere in the engine that is releasing gas and instigating the sensor warning. However, he said that it is entirely safe to drive and not worth fixing... I am not sure what it is in your case but I know that if you're positive its harmless, you can take it to the Volvo dealer and they'll turn it off for you (for a price I belive).

Old 08-14-2005, 06:23 PM

So far I've only put in a new fuel cap. I'll see if the light will stay off. If it comes back on, I'll check the other things that have been mentioned here for example the evap valve(which I'm not sure of exact location). Also, as I was advised, you can go to an Autozone, they rent the tool that will tell you the code and clear it also. You just pay a deposit and it will be credited back once returned. In your case if it's a "hole somewhere" the light will come back on after you clear it.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:20 PM

I've already had my mechanic reset the light. Yes, it does come back. Fortunately, it is a very small problem and does not cause any harm or problems to the car.