Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

crazy fixes? or coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question crazy fixes? or coincidence?

Alright, so i just joined this forum to post this CRAZY story about my car (2000 s70 GLT SE) and i'm hoping someone can explain this to me.

I will start of by saying I know just enough about my volvo to get by. I can change the breaks, oil, and other basics.

So, for the past month or so my ABS module has been failing. Starting in third gear, speedometer turning off and the arrow blinking. Then three days ago I smelled burning rubber. I pulled over and saw smoke coming from my engine. I popped the hood and (after googling the diagram of a serpentine belt) I concluded that the power steering pump was smoking. I checked my fluid and it was bone dry (it had been a couple months since I checked the fluid levels because I fail at life sometimes). Thankfully I keep a nice big container of each fluid in my trunk just in case. After filling it up and letting the car idle for about 25-30 minutes the smoking stopped and the car now runs fine.

Now here is the kicker, ever since I have done this the ABS module is PERFECTLY FINE. The car has yet to have anything happen to it in terms of the ABS system. The car was running great! I couldn't believe it.

Then it got spookier. My turbo has been dead for about a year now. I never had it fixed because there was no need. Car ran fine, i live in a city and generally only go over 35 mph a couple times a month.

Long story short, my car was parked on the side of the road and was rear ended pretty hard. It caused the exhaust to be pushed in about 3-4 inches at most, but other than a couple scratches that's all the damage I could see even after jacking the car up and taking a quick look under the vehicle. The car started fine and runs fine with no strange noises and the exahust is working as if nothing ever happened.

However NOW THE TURBO WORKS. I happened to drive down to walmart and had to speed up semi quickly. Normally the car doesn't speed up to quickly due to the dead turbo. However the moment I pushed that pedal down past the click it kicked right in and took off. I couldn't believe it.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!! I am dumbfounded right now...

Last edited by tjmonjay; 09-19-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Puff, Puff, GIVE!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes you're just living right man...

Might be good time to buy a lotto ticket while you're at it..

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not surprising really. It turns out that there are lots of things that will turn off the ABS light.
I have;
1) wedged a plastic scalpel handle between the master cylinder and ABS module
2) replaced the ignition lock spring loaded dohicky
3)replaced a "faulty" wheel sensor
4) buried a black cat under a oak tree on a full moon ( I did fudge on this one, I used my dead Golden Retriever on a Saturday afternoon, but it was under an oak tree)
They all worked ------ for a while. You're gonna have to rebuild that sucker sooner or later.

I like the turbo fix though, guess it's like banging on the TV (beats going down to the mini-mart and using the tube-tester- guess I'm dating myself though)