General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Completely and utterly LOST!!!! I pray someone can help.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely and utterly LOST!!!! I pray someone can help.

To get a little background on my problems please see the thread at this link: https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29465

I continue to have the problems I spoke about in that post. But now I am seeing more issues. First my ABS and SRS lights have been on for over a month. My car still tends to not want to start occasionally. And about a month ago while driving down the street my speedometer dropped to 0. My RPM, temperature, and gas gages were all still registering. After about 1/2 mile down the road it started working again. Then it was fine till today. While accelerating to enter the highway my speedometer jumped then dropped to 0. Where it stayed, I downshifted and the speedometer started working again. Then about 10 min later after getting off the highway and driving about 40 down the road it stopped again. It started again as I was turning a corner. During the time it was doing this, my brake light came on. It did go off once over the course of this problem but came back on. I was heading home for lunch when this was happening, and on the way back to work, the speedometer worked. But on the way home this afternoon, it stopped again, and didn't start until I got home shut the car off and left later in the evening. By this time my check engine light was on. I drove to my brothers so he could hook it to his scanner and see if he could find anything. (speedometer worked the whole way to his house, but check engine light stayed on) Hooked to his scanner we got the following codes.
P1633 Manufacturer Specific Code
Po115 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
P0722 Output speed sensor circuit
P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected
Along with these codes it would register the following:
Evaporation system leak test ID01
DTC detected during last drive
ID 11 Engine Controller
ID 18 Transmission Controller
I am completely lost. I am terrified that something is seriously wrong and if so, I am only in my car for a year now and have 4 more years left before its paid off. There is no way I could get another car right now unless I sold this one. And I can't sell if with major problems.

If ANYONE has ANY suggestions I would be forever grateful. I don't know what to do.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I am not expert in any way but I think your code P1633 and P0722 is bad ABS module also that is reason for speedometer to act up.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by blackbrick
Hi, I am not expert in any way but I think your code P1633 and P0722 is bad ABS module also that is reason for speedometer to act up.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will check into the ABS module. It would make sense to me. By the way, do you think that would also cause my car to not want to start sometimes?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koster
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will check into the ABS module. It would make sense to me. By the way, do you think that would also cause my car to not want to start sometimes?
You need to tackle one problem at a time. Replaced my ABS module ~4yrs ago with similar symptoms. Knock on wood still going strong with the rebuilt unit. Look for a replacement used seat in the same interior color code, then reset the SRS light. This would be the least expensive route. Car's intermittent starting is probably another problem altogether. Keep us posted.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I think no start is different problem. ( codes Po115 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor and P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire are probably related to no start) Wait for experts on this.
For ABS module here are two links
http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php
and http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...vo_V70_ABS.htm
or you can try to fix it by yourself https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/abs-controller-cover-removal-11104/

Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 PM

ABS should be answer. Has ETM (electronic throttle module) been replaced? That's covered under extended warranty so would be free if it's bad.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by blackbrick

+1...Actually, blackbrick nailed it on the head as they say! I would get the module either rebuilt or send it in and xchange it for a rebuilt/new. Should take care of that. Which reminds me to get mine done sometime soon on my 850.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Which reminds me to get mine done sometime soon on my 850.
Let me know when you are ready and I will hook you up!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Talking Take Tech up on his offer

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
+1...Which reminds me to get mine done sometime soon on my 850.
Take TECH up on his offer. He replaced an ABS module in one of my S70's a couple of months ago. Thanks again Alan!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:28 PM

I first want to THANK EVERYONE for all the suggestions and advise. I checked out the websites that were posted and my husband tested the Wheel Sensors on the front and says they are registering at 17ohms (or somewhere around there). He is now thinking those are bad. Now I'm torn on replacing the Wheel Sensor's or the ABS Module. I would much rather not replace them both if I don't have to. Plus, after some more research it appears the ABS module is a known problem for 01 C70's. So with all this in mind, is it suggested to go ahead and try the ABS module first? Or since the wheel sensors came up reading extremely low resistance, start there?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

I would get the module rebuilt first.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to Tech.

Electronic sensors are usually not likely to fail, unless they were subjected to extreme conditions, such as the engine caught on fire, neglected maintenance, the car is very old or the sensors were defective from the manufacturer.

ABS module receives speed signals from the wheel sensors, and if the module is bad, the speedometer does all kinds of numbers as you described. If there was one sensor that read way off compared to the rest, your hubby can try cleaning the electrical connection & the sensor itself with a can of electrical contact cleaner.

Have this recall taken care of at a dealer (preferably not the one you've been visiting, and recall items should not be charged to customers):
Auto Recall Date: 11/15/2006
Vehicle Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 170099
2001 VOLVO C70 Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, A COMBINATION OF THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR IRREGULARITIES, A DIRTY THROTTLE HOUSING, AND/OR INEFFICIENT SOFTWARE CALIBRATION MAY CAUSE A WARNING LAMP TO LIGHT AND THE SUBSEQUENT ONSET OF *LIMP HOME MODES.

Defect Consequence:
THIS RESULTED IN A HIGH NUMBER OF VEHICLES GOING INTO THE LIMP HOME MODE WITHOUT NEED.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL THE CURRENT SOFTWARE UPGRADE ONTO THE INVOLVED VEHICLES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 29, 2006.

OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.

Source:
http://www.autobuyguide.com/2001/12-...lls/index.html

If you've already had this recall done, the problem is elsewhere. If not, it should solve the problem (if everything else is fine). Have you been following the scheduled maintenance in your owner's guide? Your C70 may be angry that she has not been receiving TLC.

The biggest downfall of European cars is their poorly designed (or I should say too sensitive) electrical/electronic systems. If I can see a schematic of C70's electrical systems, I may be able to give you better answer but I don't have it.

I hope this is of some use. When in doubt, go with Tech's advice.

JPN

*Limp Home Mode means that your car's computer has decided to let you drive the car just enough to get you home, but the original performance is lost and the engine would be very sluggish. Drive very cautiously if this happens (you'll know it when it takes place).

Last edited by JPN; 09-16-2009 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

As to the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, it is known to fail on 850s with age and can prevent starting in some cases. I am not sure as to how reliable the sensor is on C70s. Just wanted to add another note.

JPN

Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

The coolant code is being thrown because the sensor under the thermostat is bad. You can check the sensor with a multimeter. As the engine temperature rises, the resistance in the sensor will fall. If it stays high or does not register at all, then the sensor is bad. This would cause a no start issue.

So, to sum up what was already mentioned.

Replace ABS controller
Replace front seat
Replace Coolant sensor under throttle body

Then clean all the codes and report back.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Smile Big thanks to everyone!

I repaired my ABS module and am pleased to say it was the problem. All my warning lights are now off. (with the exception of the SRS light) Cruise control works again, and haven't had any problem with the speedometer. I'm so happy it wasn't something major. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE ADVISE AND SUGGESTIONS. Haven't had a chance to looking into replacing the seat yet, or the coolant tempature sensor. I need to get to that soon. I am working on my brakes right now. I need new rotors, and no one in my city carries the kind I need. So if there are any suggestions on websites I could check it would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help and I'm so happy I found this forum. I'm sure I will be using it often.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

I repaired my ABS module and am pleased to say it was the problem. All my warning lights are now off. (with the exception of the SRS light) Cruise control works again, and haven't had any problem with the speedometer. I'm so happy it wasn't something major. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE ADVISE AND SUGGESTIONS. Haven't had a chance to looking into replacing the seat yet, or the coolant tempature sensor. I need to get to that soon. I am working on my brakes right now. I need new rotors, and no one in my city carries the kind I need. So if there are any suggestions on websites I could check it would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help and I'm so happy I found this forum. I'm sure I will be using it often.
Oh and if anyone has any suggestions on brands for rotors or pads, I would love to hear them. Typically I buy what I can afford, but I want to make sure and get something good that is low dust and quiet. Even if that means I pay a little more.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and if anyone has any suggestions on brands for rotors or pads, I would love to hear them. Typically I buy what I can afford, but I want to make sure and get something good that is low dust and quiet. Even if that means I pay a little more.
If you want the OEM's then give Waltrip Volvo a call. Their pricing seems to be the most competitive of all the dealers. Also give FCP some consideration if you want a less expensive alternative. Ceramic pads will normally give you considerably less brake dust, but sometimes with minimal increase in brake noise. Whether you need the front 280mm or the 302mm ones need to be measured to be 100% certain. Have the SRS light reset before you go and replace the seat, but only if it is inexpensive to do so. Good luck, glad it is going better for you.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Angry Spoke to soon.

Originally Posted by mkc70
If you want the OEM's then give Waltrip Volvo a call. Their pricing seems to be the most competitive of all the dealers. Also give FCP some consideration if you want a less expensive alternative. Ceramic pads will normally give you considerably less brake dust, but sometimes with minimal increase in brake noise. Whether you need the front 280mm or the 302mm ones need to be measured to be 100% certain. Have the SRS light reset before you go and replace the seat, but only if it is inexpensive to do so. Good luck, glad it is going better for you.
I think I jinxed myself. While sitting in my babysitter's driveway with my car running, I started to notice my car wasn't idleing quite right. I started to listen closer and found that my car was like sputtering and black smoke was coming out of my exhaust. I give it some gas and it revs up fine, but idleing it runs rough. Not sure how to explain it. So I drove down the road and it kept smoking. (It was black smoke, so I think burning oil?) I checked under the hood to see if there was oil anywhere and there wasn't. I ended up going back to my sitter's house to wait for my husband. While waiting the check engine light came back on. We checked for trouble codes (again) and this is what came up:

P1633 Manufacture specific code (probably from before)
P0134 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

I have changed my Mass air flow sensor twice in a year and I have changed one of my O2 sensors. I was told Volvo's have problems with mass air flow sensor's, but come on, again??? So we took the mass air flow sensor off to make sure there was nothing in it, and when we put it back on and started the car it ran fine. My husband drove it home and he said he had no problems. Has anyone heard of these issues before? Could something be wrong with my car that is making the sensor's go bad? I plan on replacing the other O2 sensor to see if that will help. But I'm back again hoping one of the great knowledgeable visitors on this forum could chime in with any ideas. I seem like a needy volvo owner, and just hope I can sometime repay everyone's good advice with some good advice of my own. But unless its about raising kids or government contracts I probably won't be able to.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator

I would try cleaning the throttle body and Mass Flow sensor and see if that helps.
But the ECT can also make it run rich like it was. Black smoke means to much gas/running rich.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Completely and utterly LOST!!!! I pray someone can help.