General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Custom shift knob destroy transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom shift **** destroy transmission?

It seems only about 5% of shifter ***** come with the button on Volvos.

Much better selection if the button can be dispensed with.

Question: will a shift **** with no button destroy the transmission?

(my car: 2001 V70 XC automatic)

Old 10-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

No it will not, you just will have to install a external button to either turn over drive OFF or over drive ON somewere else. My personal feelings are I do not like over drive on in the city or hilly areas any way. That makes it harder on the trans to have it on.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Uh, what? My Volvo V70 does not come with an overdrive gear. Have seen it on other vehicles. It seems you misunderstood.

It’s a bit involved, but I’ll try to explain my rationale.

About a year ago I bought a custom shift **** with no button. It seemed okay to do because when I removed the OEM shift **** with button, the remaining shaft continued to shift gears fine.

But now, my car has a failed transmission together with a slightly bent front end frame (half-inch judging by bonnet dislocation) from a minor collision (impact on left-side headlight well ahead of wheels). The transmission only failed after about a month of driving with the frame still bent.

My dilemma is: I do not know whether the transmission was damaged by my custom shift **** or by the bent frame—my reason for posting.

1. If transmission was damaged by the bent frame, I should have the frame repaired first, but that involves 2 tows, an extra $250.

2. If the transmission was damaged by the shift ****, I can have the transmission repaired first, then will be able to drive to the frame shop, saving a tow. But I’ll have to replace the original drab shift ****.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

not sure what you are describing as a damaged transmission. I also have a hard time thinging of how you'd correlate a shift **** to transmission issues. Now with a bent frame, one would assume the issue would be whether the drive shafts are positioned. If you see leaking fluid due to a flange seal - then yes I could imagine how your accident resulted in a transmission issue. I'd also wonder how a mechanic would reinstall the transmission if the frame is the cause. Did you ever pull out the dipstick to check transmission fluid level and color? My bet is they are totally unrelated (short of having a leak)