General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Dealing with (mis)information - question for Tech and the old heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with (mis)information - question for Tech and the old heads

As of late there have been a few new posters that seem to either be bitter or employees of other manufactures.

How do we, as members, aggressively counter these "bad apples" without being in violation of the rules?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:55 AM

interesting, I have not really noticed this here...

Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like who? Never noticed anyone like that in 850 thread.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 AM

one poster specifically in the S60 forum -
I don't want to bash them publicly as they have some legit complaints about their experience, but it is being represented as "these are universal issues," which is simply false.

Last edited by Bender; 11-18-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:15 PM

i just read the other post in the other section and I see your point.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:57 PM

ok...... I think as an open forum everyone has a right to their opinion and to post their opinion wether we like it or not! However, if that person or person(S) become blatant and then start to bash or it gets into a fight of words then notify a moderator and/or Admin. You can always PM me and I can pass the word since I am neither... but just because we don't like others opinions doesn't necessarily mean we go banish someone. If someone has a negative lets show them the way to see that they might be jaded and show them the positive. I won't name the post but I am trying to show the light that Volvos are great cars and that regardless of the negative experiences the other vehicles are great, with the exceptions of XC90 and S80 POS,lol

Last edited by Somthngfrce; 11-18-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a mod we watch these things. If someone is threatening or using foul language or posting libelous things we would probably delete and PM the person about the situation. However, if they are just posting their opinion and not violating any of the above, even though we may not agree with their opinion, it would be allowed to remain.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Send me a PM with the links to the post and I will look them over.
I might have missed them.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
and that regardless of the negative experiences the other vehicles are great, with the exceptions of XC90 and S80 POS,lol
You really don't like those two models do you?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gilber33

who does?

But seriously, just PM us moderators or the admins.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With ANY source of information, if you want to know the truth, you must educate yourself fully on the entire subject.
I see far too many times internet "experts" who know only a fraction of a subject, go off on a tangent with that and profess it to be fact.
My rule of thumb with information is to be sceptical until I have verified it through at least two other independent sources and preferably one of those a technical manual.
If you have a thorough knowledge of how something works, you should be able to tell if something is BS or not.
Oh and your search for knowledge should never end. I know many a mechanic who got to 25 and though they knew it all, as time and technology passed them by.
No offence to anyone here on these forums, none of what I said above applies to anyone here!

Regards, Andrew.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 AM

^^ Well said!

Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33

It's not that I don't care for them, but FACT IS by Consumer Reports (last months edition) XC90 and S80 got hammered by being placed on the "Worst of the Worst" list and ONLY because they had so much technology that the electronics made the car not as reliable. It is a fact that the more electronics you add to a car, more stuff to go wrong and the S80 from the getgo had lots of gremlins...... Now on the upside of the article it did mention Volvos safety record and also the safety measures both vehicles had ALONG with a great true and tested motor (s)... So I am not picking on those 2 but if you look thru the forum you will see the facts with the repeated threads, however this doesn't mean that ALL Volvos are unreliable.......

Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 AM

It's not that I don't care for them, but FACT IS by Consumer Reports (last months edition) XC90 and S80 got hammered by being placed on the "Worst of the Worst" list and ONLY because they had so much technology that the electronics made the car not as reliable. It is a fact that the more electronics you add to a car, more stuff to go wrong and the S80 from the getgo had lots of gremlins...... Now on the upside of the article it did mention Volvos safety record and also the safety measures both vehicles had ALONG with a great true and tested motor (s)... So I am not picking on those 2 but if you look thru the forum you will see the facts with the repeated threads, however this doesn't mean that ALL Volvos are unreliable.......
How are the newer models? Did they get the gremlins worked out?

When I researched Euro cars, I got the general impression that it wasn't a good idea to buy the first year after a model introduction or redesign...

Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 PM

I know what your saying.

Originally Posted by hammer1234

When I researched Euro cars, I got the general impression that it wasn't a good idea to buy the first year after a model introduction or redesign...
Yeah, don't buy the first gen models, like the 01 cars, they are known to have a few problems, and the 09 I think they redid some stuff.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hammer1234

Honestly, all I know about the newer models is what I see and hear about from members on this and 2 other forums I am on. I think S60's and S40's are still fool proof cars. I think Volvo has learned from a few mistakes like the AWD aka AWtragic and has made changes. I think as long as we add more technology to the cars, electronics will always be the weak link on all cars! Wait for TECH to chime in. Seeing that he works on them all he might be able to give you a better answer.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't for worng with a RWD volvo.... well. i guess the B28 isn't the best motor.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIPSP
Can't for worng with a RWD volvo.... well. i guess the B28 isn't the best motor.
The B28 or the PRV V6 is not a bad engine, however, it does not suffer lack of maintenance at all well. Corrosion will eat out coolant passages rapidly if plain water is used and the oiling system has some very fine passages, sludge will kill these too.
None of these are a huge problem till you realise the engine has wet cylinder liners and a rebuild gets very expensive very quickly. So the engine becomes beer cans.
Some guys profess to have nice reliable PRV's, the only way I can see that happening is an early rebuild before they get too old, or buy a car of someone fastidious about maintenance.
Having said all that, they're not that powerful or torquey for their displacement, any other V6 will be a better swap.

Regards, Andrew.