General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Destroyed electronics after lightning strike

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 PM
zpk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed electronics after lightning strike

Hi,

Anyone with experiences of a Volvo being struck by a lightning? My XC60 2012 was hit while parked, resulting in severe damages in electronics: after replacing the central control unit the service got first diagnostics which indicated that the following ECUs do not respond at all: ECM, FSM, TCM, BCM, PSCM, SAS, CVM, and FLR. The CAN bus is OK, so it is really those units who are dead. Awaiting the spares to arrive to see if there is further damage when those units are reporting their connected sensors and units.

My question is: in case you have had or heard of a similar event, please can you share via the forum or via private message your experiences, especially what was the criteria by the insurance company to total the car vs. repair it? I doubt that the car is as safe as before the incident when repaired - hidden faults are always possible given the depth of the damages, there are so many fragile electronic circuits and sensors in it whose condition may be exposed only at the moment of an accident or so... ...even though the self diagnostics would give an ok, this is only a good start...

Thanks for your support.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When anything takes a direct lightning hit, man, all bets are off. I am surprised the insurance company is even considering fixing this car; I would encourage them to total it (and all those control modules should do it) since nothing (and I mean nothing) will ever be the same on this car.

I don't know where the ins company's cost threshold is but if they want to fix it, make sure you get them to sign a contract/warranty/whatever that they're responsible for any hidden damage that's discovered down the road!