General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Drivers side hood latch

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side hood latch

I'm told I need to find a drivers side hood latch that attaches to the body not the hood for a 99 Volvo s70 with alarm. My mechanic doesn't have much time to search and I don't know where to search. If anyone has any info for me, I would be very grateful.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:58 PM

Giving you this story below because your mechanic may not have time for adjustment if he knows better, or has never done it before, and you'll see. And these hood latches are a nasty pain, and so others with the prob may read. You should be able to get the latch from a dealer for a bit more $ than another site. It might be $40 but I'd bet on $60-70 or ? Do not use anything but ome, if anything else is even made.

Not 100% on your attachment location. I have a 2000 v70 and it is very likely is in the same location or similar enough that this book covers it anyway. If missing or you are sure it's broken go to a yard. Very few latches ever wear out, unless 250k mi +. Shop just replaced both of mine with new and did a terrible job, then put Wd40 on it to fix, wrong wrong. Only one of those works and I need to work on it, aaaahgain. Adjusting is tricky to do. It will require patience because clearances are tight. Make sure you have your hood located where you want it, posts on hood or frame and at hood arms. Then start working. Adjusting before locating hood will likely change how well the latch works and maybe waste your time. At the yard take a tape with you and get as many measurements/picts with tape in pict as possible for the latch location. AND keep in mind later that the yard latch locations may be wrong. Don't take them off a wrecked car. Buy a couple latches because they prob won't be over $5-8, and not worth a trip back, your call. Take multiple picts of the tape in different locations at/on latch.

Back at home keep the tape out and compare what you see in your car. If it doesn't give you any help don't worry. You'll need to do locating by hand too. Latches have adjustments for L/R, a little up/down and some twist. Spread your arms apart and feel the latches (with your replacement in place) at the same time. Match replacement as close as possible to the working latch. You have to look left/right noting clearances to fender and other parts. I usually loosen all but one latch mounting bolt on the one to be adjusted and then back that last bolt off enough that you have to bump (not whack) it with your palm or rubber hammer handle to get the latch to move. When you get that, slowly screw the others back in only enough to create snug but able to also bump around. Don't hit the latch assembly too hard or at all if you can help it because you might break the housing! If you use housing to move use cloth to wrap/cushion with some cloth. Housing can't be fixed. Find a spot where the mounting plate connects. That hammer with a piece of wood 3/8"-1/4 x 8" long will work for tapping/bumping. Before loosening anything mark where both latches are, working or not, it's your reference, starting point. You will then know what location the replacement does not work in. Marking is scratching the surface that the latch is mounted to. Use a screwdriver tracing around the edge with a nice small tip or something like it. Don't be tempted to loosen the working hinge! Don't move the latch more than 1/16" any direction at a time--- to easy to loose track of where you are going or were even with scratches. You'll have to go back and forth to the release about 50 times of course or use somebody that owes you time. Hope you get lucky in the first 15 min.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:08 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I truly appreciate the time you spent. It was damaged bc my daughter hit a deer. I tried the dealers near me and no luck. I am totally willing to spend $70 to get it. Maybe I should try some dealers outside of my area (jersey shore). My mechanic is pretty well versed on volvos. It is all he works on but he is so busy that he doesn't have time to search for it. It is a really nice car with only 115k on it. Perfect for my daughter who is a young driver.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:16 AM

If you had body work with the deer wreck the shop that did it should do it. If not or the dent wasn't that big ask the Volvo guys at the PARTS counter. They are often in their 20s-30s and enthusiasts and pretty good chance they will know the best shop, or an individual that would do it. Make sure if just an individual that he has done it before. Get him to tell you how much before starting and check him on bringing it back to him for adjustments if he doesn't get it 100%. Otherwise go to the most expensive body shop in town. They may not want to work on it because they don't get into small jobs for $100 (don't quote me). They may do it for nothing just to be nice, if they have done it before, and have somebody that is good. If still NO, ask where to go. Beg if that's the case. You might have to go to a bigger city for a better shop.

95% of the dealerships do not do their own body work. If someone comes in and asks them to fix a door dent, they will take it but they send it to the shop that they use, and bring back. The customer wouldn't know and the dealer may not tell you, but ask if you can go there yourself. Dealerships do oil changes and have to lift the hood for those simple jobs, and 99% of all others. They have come across it before.

Right now only my passenger side works so,,, here is what I do, so try it. Pop the latch once to loosen/disconnect as normal. Your hood comes up just enough (like normal) to push a rag between the bumper and the lip of the hood, keeping some upward pressure on the hood when you walk away. Try putting the rag closer to the working side, between headlight and lip (your hood is prob not the same as mine). Go back and pop the release again. Pending yours and if your broken latch is still in place, it might work.

Ask your mechanic if the release cable or handle is damaged too. I've had a 740, DL, 760, 2-850s, several??? and this V70. Every one has a beautiful latch idea and assembly but they all require too much pressure on the cable and the release under the dash. In 35 years 3 have broken at less than 150k miles. So baby your hood release later, if that can even be done, and try to use it as little as possible,,, do everything you can each time you open the hood.