General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

English man looking for US transmission advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default English man looking for US transmission advice

Coming from the UK nobody really uses automatic cars, I don't understand why this is I think all cars should be automatic, but that's us brits always doing things the hard way.
Anyway my question is I have an Automatic S60 D5 2.4 2003 with 86000 miles on the clock. When I pull away there is a delay especially in reverse it's as if I am trying to pull down a house. You know plenty of revs but going nowhere fast.
Also at junctions slow to engage. This is mainly from cold and even does it a bit when warm. I have had the software update but this did nothing, I asked my local Volvo dealer if I should have the automatic Transmission oil changed, and he said that it won't make any difference and it's most likely going to need a new gearbox which will cost £4000 surely changing the oil which is a brown colour would be the first step PLEASE PLEASE HELP! English people know nothing about auto's.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say it is a 50/50 shot it might help or it might make it worse.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 PM

The Asin-Warner transmissions used in Volvos are delicate and have no filters, therefore clean oil is critical. If yours is brown it should have been changed long ago. At this point it may not cure your problem, but as you say, it is the first place to start. Try it and see - its cheaper than a new trans. Hope it works for you.

It is better to do a complete transmission flush as a drain and refill will only replace about 1/4 of the total fluid.

We don't have Volvo diesels in the states, so I'm not sure what fluid your car requires, but make sure you use the EXACT fluid as sprcified in your owner's manual. The transmission can be damaged by the wrong product.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delicate is a sweeping statement. ALL front drive cars have very compact automatic transmissions and they ALL need regular trans servicing for a long life. Sadly most people don't do it because they think it's a dealer scam to extract more money out of them.
I had a Toyota Supra with an AW40 auto behind it, interestingly 200+Kw didn't kill it and it was stock.
The first AW box in my wagon went 250k kms before it needed a rebuild.
I find it interesting that back in the 70's and 80's, auto boxes died around 250k kms and it was normal and expected, just rebuild it when it happened.
Now, auto boxes die at 250k kms and everyone rants and raves about it?

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by hmsggg
Coming from the UK nobody really uses automatic cars, I don't understand why this is I think all cars should be automatic, but that's us brits always doing things the hard way.
you mean doing things the right way, over here in the states everyone seems to think automatics are the coolest thing. (they probably like digital watches too)