General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Foam in airbox.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam in airbox.

I drove my car back from Adelaide yesterday, a ncie leisurely 13 hour trip!
Anyway, about two hours in, I went to overtake a B double semi trailer, got half way around and had that milennium Falcon not going into hyperspace feeling and sounds. Finally got past him and pulled over. The car would die at anything over half throttle, or high speeds (over 120 km/h). It was also running lean (mild pinging under heavy throttle). It felt like it was starving for air.
Thanks to religious extremists, I could not carry some basic hand tools on my domestic flight in my hand luggage, so I just had to slog it out and get home eventually (not many places open at 10pm sunday-3am on a monday morning!)Plus I didn't want to frig around under the bonnet at night when the car was running well enough to maintain the speeed limit (just).
So I hear you ask, what was the problem?
Well, as part of the big clean and tune up all my cars get when they come home, I removed the airbox for a clean and to change filter, so thought, why not pull the AFM and have a look. Seems Volvo put a perishable type of foam rubber in the airbox lid to reduce noise...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lvo/AFM002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lvo/AFM001.jpg

Regards, Andrew.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Foam in airbox.

Hi Andrew,

I have a bad feeling about those objects/stuff/FOD. What ever they are, they look like a bio hazard to me[:-]. Clean them off the mesh & make sure to wash your hands after handling it. If they actually did come from the air box, I would take them all off and buy a sheet of rubber and cut it to match the airbox lid size.

And make sure not to try out the flavour of it, it may make it your last day on the planet.

JPN

Old 12-17-2007, 03:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Foam in airbox.

There was a factory looking foam rubber pad in teh airbox lid, and these particles were parts of it. It was decomposing, as if it had been exposed to some sort of solvent.
Anyway, it's all been stripped of the lid with some thinners, and I have no plans to replace it! I popped the mesh screens out and cleaned them with solvent and compressed air.
I tell people who remove the mesh screens from their AFM's (more flow, year right!)to leave them on, as they protect from this sort of thing, but they don't listen!

Regards, Andrew.