General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Help! Used XC60 has strange sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Used XC60 has strange sound

Hi guys

I just bought a used '09 XC60 T6. Fantastic car but after driving it, theres a strange growl/ purr coming from the car. Its pretty loud and annoying, and i know theres something wrong.

The low growl creeps in at around 30kmph, the gets louder from 40kmph all the way up 60. Going up to 80kmph at after that, the sound transitions to a high pitched whine at 100kmph.

I think its coming from the rear, possibly the diff or a bearing but my friend says it sounds like its in the front and could have something to with the exhaust system, maybe a hole or loose part.

Some things ive noticed:

- When the car is in park/neutral, i dont get the sound when i press the accelerator.

-sound still occurs the same when i take my foot off the pedal and the car slows down, again at around 30kmph-0 it becomes inaudible.

-when i steer right at a sharp curve in the road, the sound momentarily stops, then comes back when i straighten up. Doesnt seem to happen on left turns.

-no matter how hard i push the car or rev it in manual shift, sound characteristics are the same.

Its seem the sound is completely related to speed.

The dealer says its tyre noise but i beg to differ. Its too loud and sounds mechanical.

Opinions?

Cheers

Old 12-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible wheel bearing

if the sound changes when turning I had the same problem and it was a wheel bearing .But it cost me almost as much money to have the bearing pressed than it cost for the bearing. I have a similar problem now but the sound doesn't change when turning and I've change the bearing and cv joint and still have the noise Im sure if you talk to an a experienced mechanic he we tell you it's a wheel bearing. Good luck