General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

How should I repair this??

Old 03-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I repair this??

Hello, I have a 2004 volvo s60, which is slowly starting to show its age. While everything else looks okay, my driver seat is starting to come undone in one area. I'd really like to avoid taking it to a shop, especially living in such an expensive area, I know I'll be charged way too much. Since it is an older car, I'd like to just fix it to the point where it'll stop it from coming undone anymore, so it doesn't have to look "perfect," just functional.

Has anyone else had this situation occur and how did you resolve it? Also, is there a certain type of thread I could use if I tried to attempt to close it back up myself?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond....

Attached Thumbnails How should I repair this??-unnamed.jpg   How should I repair this??-unnamed-1.jpg  
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be extremely difficult for a novice to repair as the seam is stitched from the inside. The cover has to be removed in order to do it. If you try to do it from the outside it will be nearly impossible to get it tight, plus the work would look like a band aid.

I think you may be surprised that the cost might be less than you think. I would guess $50-150, though it could be more of a job than I think so just because someone quotes you more doesn't mean they are ripping you off. And unless you live in the sticks there should be an adequate number of shops to choose from. Do a search for auto upholstery shops in your area then pick up the phone. This is such a common Volvo seat issue that I'll bet they are familiar with it and can quote it just by describing it over the phone. To keep from feeling like you are being over charged call at least 3 places.

If you did try to fix it yourself I would use white thread so that it matches the stitching in the piping. You'll need a super heavy thread and an extra HD curved needle. I would also suggest a needle nose pliers to help you get it through the leather, but trying to do it from the top you will have to run your stitching through the piping area rather than where the seam is supposed to be stitched. Good luck and please report your method and result to help others with this issue.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

An upholstery shop could probably fix that for much less than the cost of replacing the leather. Or you could try to stitch it but I have no idea what kind of thread.