General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

I have an odd question about turn signals I need other's opinions on

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an odd question about turn signals I need other's opinions on

I recently put projector headlights in the front of my 850 wagon to improve on the stock lighting ...

Name:  P1010002_90_zpsfdd55366.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  89.1 KB

The headlights themselves work great, and I'm happy about changing them, except for one little snag...

The orange light in each housing that normaly work as both a turn signal as well as a running light (dual pole)(headlights as well as turn/running lights are all in one unit in the new housings) is only a single pole light in the new lights that only works as a turn signal. I would like to convert the light to once again work as a dual purpose light, but I have yet to be successful in finding a dual pole socket with a right angle at the base that will fit into the new housings and within the room of the radiator support. I would modify the rad. support or the housing with a dremel if I could find something that would work efectively and seal up correctly, but I have another idea I might try that may be easier and prevent grinding away material from any parts.
There are two 12 volt positive signals going to the light from the car, one is a constant signal that lights one of the elements in the stock bulb, and the other positive lights the other element when the turn signal is activated. I only have a single element bulb and socket to work with on the new lights, and I'm wondering if the proper resistor grafted into each positive feed wire to reduce them to 6 volts each and then simultaneously feed to the single element 12 volt bulb would work at activating the bulb dimly to act as a constant running light, and full brightness when the turn signal is activated. It would be 6 volts running signal, 12 volts turn signal to the same bulb. Does this even sound plausible ?
I realize I may drive the bulb bulb detector in the headlight switch crazy, but I would rather have that bulb lit than not having front running lights.
Does this sound possible ?
All feedback welcome.

Last edited by Handysmurf; 01-30-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a plan. It should work in theory. The only thing is, if you ever need to use the hazard lights with the car not running the front signals are going to be dim.
I like the new lights, btw.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_fast_ride
Sounds like a plan. It should work in theory. The only thing is, if you ever need to use the hazard lights with the car not running the front signals are going to be dim.
I like the new lights, btw.
Thanks, the new lights really looked good after I blacked out the grille and kept the chrome slash. Aside from an aesthetic, the lighting quality is vastly improved.
Once I get all the electrical values needed from the car to figure out the correct resistors to buy and solder into the new lights, I'll post their values for others if ever wanted. I never saw a call out of how the new lights were wired when I bought them, so this may have been a concern for other people as well.
I'm not really worried about the hazard lights being dim. If I ever need them while sitting on the side of the road broken down, I'll appreciate the truck slamming into the car because he didn't see it.