General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

jack points for 1998 v70 to get out gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question jack points for 1998 v70 to get out gas tank

Does anyone know where to put the jack stands and where to jack the rear of the car with a floor jack? I need to take out the gas tank so I assume I need to jack up the car. The chilton car manual book says

Place jack stands beneath the rear end of the subframe to support the front of the vehicle

also it says

Paise the rear by jacking at the REAR SPRING PERCH, then place the jack stand under the frame rail; raise only one side at a time

Please give me pictures or a video because this handbook is in black and white

also there is a clamp or something with 2 bolts that is holding the the gas tank to the gas hose, if I remove the clamp is there anything else to remove

In the volvo manual it also says

If a garage jack is used to lift the car, the two jack attachment points should be used. - I'm guessing its talking about the center jacking point of the car

A garage jack can also be placed under the reinforced plate in the spare wheel well. - Does this mean I can jack under the section of the car where the spare tire is kept?

If a two-post hoist is ised to lift the car, the front and rear lift arm pads should be centered under the reinforced lift plates on the inboard edge of the sill rail. The position of these plates is marked with arrows molded into the bottom of the sill rail. - guessing I don't need to know this since it doesn't talk about a floor jack

Last edited by nachobear; 04-22-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: adding more information
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have ramps? If possible just drive the car up on them unless you have to pull a wheel.

I usually put the jack stands under the frame close to the wheel suspension. As for jacking it, I always jack it at the side jacking point.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Question

Originally Posted by rspi
Do you have ramps? If possible just drive the car up on them unless you have to pull a wheel.

I usually put the jack stands under the frame close to the wheel suspension. As for jacking it, I always jack it at the side jacking point.
Hi

The car was in an accident so it can't move and also do you mean jacking in in the center where the scissor jack is used or are you talking about the points where there are arrows under the car, how can you tell which part is the frame

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 AM

As it turns out, this is the very question I set out to answer this time round here. Just bought a pair of lovely jack stands, and it would be splendid to be able to employ them without smashing through the floor.

My v70 is a 2001.

Sorry, I don’t understand technical terms like:

subframe
rear spring perch
sill rail
side jacking joint

Anyone who has achieved expertise in their field can bewilder others with proprietary jargon. Can anyone here translate into English?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sir Vivor
As it turns out, this is the very question I set out to answer this time round here. Just bought a pair of lovely jack stands, and it would be splendid to be able to employ them without smashing through the floor.

My v70 is a 2001.

Sorry, I don’t understand technical terms like:

subframe
rear spring perch
sill rail
side jacking joint

Anyone who has achieved expertise in their field can bewilder others with proprietary jargon. Can anyone here translate into English?
wish i can help you and give u an answer i dislike this suggestion but take it to autozone,pepboys or a volvo dealer thats your best bet

or you can try to ask these other sites
matthewsvolvosite.com/
volvospeed.com
volvoforums.org.uk
volvoforums.com

sorry wish i can tell you i wish u the best