General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Key Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 09:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key Protection

Hello,

As my car has key less entry I wanted to reduce the risk of RFID nasties,

I was going for pouches but the reviews show that they fail in a short time

So what I did was to get one that is in effect a lidded box, it looks like a suitcase and is roughly the size of a 20 smokes packet and is found in the usual places online @ £14 GBP,

The key doesn't fit properly though, you have to place it buttons side in first at an angle, the lid then closes it up enough to block the signal, if you do it the other way round the buttons activate and all the windows go down, inside there's also a chain so your key can't drop out of it and get lost when opening the case fob,

So far this one works perfectly, you have to use a finger nail to prise it open each time you want to unblock the signal but it's no biggy imo,

Next I found one that looks like a Magnum ice lolly but has an on off switch, this one again works perfectly but the caveat is it's only big enough for the sports key ( LOOK FOR MY THREAD ON HOW TO RE-ENERGISE A DEAD ONE) and a spare blade for lockout events, you also have to tape the key into it as there's no chain and it will rattle about otherwise, best results are if you face the rear of the key towards the small circuit board inside the fob, this one was £13 and you don't even need to remove it from your pocket, you simply strap it to your belt loop of your strides and pocket it then when you want to use hand in pocket and slide the switch either way, word of warning mine didn't work first time, I had to on off it a few times then it's worked every time since, one thing I'm not certain about is if it uses a button cell for power, the switch has 2 screws so maybe if it does die later the cell can be replaced, no mention of it on the box,

I can't give you direct links as that would be advertising but a search engine of Key Signal Blockers should throw both of them up in the results, hope this gives you a better longer lasting alternative.