Left my V50 in June but may be coming back - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > General Volvo Forums > General Volvo Chat
Reload this Page >

Left my V50 in June but may be coming back

General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Left my V50 in June but may be coming back

Old 02-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Default Left my V50 in June but may be coming back

Last June I sold my 2007 V50 T5 AWD. The car was in perfect shape....what was I thinking.

Anyhow I bought a 2015 Subaru Outback Limited. A nice car but I didn't know how much I would dislike a CVT transmission. Ugh!

Tomorrow I'm going to be looking at a 2016 V60 T5 AWD with 32,312 miles on the odometer.

A couple questions about the car:

My V50 premium gas was suggested but it ran fine on regular. How about the V60 - regular?

My V50 had a recall / TSB for the PCV system. Any for the V60? BTW that PCV system was a negative for me.

One thing I liked is that the Subbie has a timing chain. I think the V60 has a belt and from some reading the belt is to be changed at less than what was recommended for the V50. True and at what mileage?

MPG? Can't remember what I was getting on the V50 but I think I was happy. I've found that the Subbie isn't getting city MPG as posted. Apparently the CVT loses effeciency when it is cold. My 5 mile round trip to the gym on cold early mornings produce an 18.5 MPG. How is the V60 on MPG.

Anything particular to the V60 and year that I should watch out for?

It is a certified car.

Last edited by urdrwho; 02-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:30 PM

I have driven my 2015.5 V60 T5 FWD for about a year now. The car is very comfortable and agile albeit at the sacrifice of some load capacity. I really think it is as much an extended 5 door hatchback as a SW.

Two gripes:

No crankcase dipstick - mickey mouse electronic oil level read-out

No spare tire - $#@%%&^ can of sealer and a pump! I'm in the process of revamping the rear compartment to accommodate a typical temporary spare tire.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pretorien View Post
I have driven my 2015.5 V60 T5 FWD for about a year now. The car is very comfortable and agile albeit at the sacrifice of some load capacity. I really think it is as much an extended 5 door hatchback as a SW.

Two gripes:

No crankcase dipstick - mickey mouse electronic oil level read-out

No spare tire - $#@%%&^ can of sealer and a pump! I'm in the process of revamping the rear compartment to accommodate a typical temporary spare tire.
Drove the car today and I liked it...hm never drove a Volvo I didn't like. Cold out today and I didn't check the spare tire but asked the sales guy. He said there is a spare tire. Hm??? I'll check next drive. I think he said there is no trans dipstick but there is still an oil dipstick. Hm? I'll check next time.

If I saw this car last June when we were shopping I would buy it. But to do it now, I'll take about a $9,000 hit on trading the Subbie. I could sell it outright but how long would that take? We buy our cars, no financing so no worries about monthly payments.

A: Do I dislike the subbie enough to take a $9000 hit
B: Do I like the Volvo enough to take a $9000 hit

The car has 32,312 miles on it and $25,500 is the best deal they'll give.

A quick glance at what the V60 is missing

It doesn't have the room in the rear that the Outback has.
I took my electric cooler along to test it and it fits but not as much room.
I do lose the roof rack and cross bars that the subbie has and I have used.
It doesn't have the rear 12 volt for the cooler.