General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Lindsay Buckingham-Think I'm in Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lindsay Buckingham-Think I'm in Trouble

Further to thread 'Car is overheating- So am I'.
Swapped out old radiator with split. Still overheated. Waited for car to cool and added coolant whilst car was running etc etc. Got more coolant, topped it up and presto 80k's (50 mile) home. No problem, no loss...
Next day, change thermostat and replace the black cap with a pretty green one. I asked if this was the correct cap and was checked twice to be the right one, blck one was wrong then.
Topped up and off to the local shops. Went well. Got back and noticed some activity at the tailpipe. Read lots of activity. Yesterday took compression readings of cold cylinders, now to take them whilst hot.
Highest 200psi and lowest 185psi. Gooood I think. No creamy oil, no oily coolant.But a bit of moisture from #2 when doing the test. Compression #2 good though.
Put the lot back together, back to the shop and behind me reminicent of a Bond film complete with smoke / steam screen. I mean, I live near a railway museum and there was more output than the 'Flying Scotsman'.
All I can put it down to is that coolant is going down #2 and venting out. For once I hope I'm NOT right. One car has severe blowback and now this. OMG. I did read here somewhere that someone added something to the oil and it stopped the loss. Every oil change he / she added it again. That was 2 years on???
Any thoughts.
Oh, the Temperature here is a bit cool (winter) 10 Deg C with high humidity and low fog, so it would amplify any steam.

Last edited by hoffa61; 07-13-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add a detail