General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Looking for a used Volvo S40/S70...Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a used Volvo S40/S70...Suggestions?

Greetings,

New member here. I joined this site because we are currently looking to purchase a used car for my daughter and she likes Volvos and Volkswagens. Her budget is in the $3,000 to $4,000 range which in my area puts us around the year 2000 or so S70 or possibly an s40. Will be automatic but other than that we aren't focused on one particular year or model....just looking for the best value for the most reliable car for her. What I'm hoping to gather with this thread is suggestions from Volvo owners. I have already printed out a very helpful looking buyers guide from this site and will have that handy.

- Are there any specific years and or models to avoid/look for?

- Volvo S40 vs Jetta?

- Other comments?

Many thanks in advance for the tips and advice. I will be happy to post back what we were able to find for her.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You can check out cars.com to look at reviews. I have no knowledge of the S40's but I know you should stay away from the S70's unless you can do a lot of work yourself. My daughter is driving a S70 and it's been very good for her, she loves the car and I don't mind doing work on it. However, I'm always doing work on it, every single time she comes home from college, I'm working on that darn car. I almost shiver when she tells me that she's coming to visit. Everything from a jammed door to a head gasket. Shiver shiver just thinking about it.

The car looks great and she is actually 2 states away right now in the car. She drives it anywhere and everywhere but I have to stay on top of it. My next project is control arms. Maybe I'll get a break after that.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
You can check out cars.com to look at reviews. I have no knowledge of the S40's but I know you should stay away from the S70's unless you can do a lot of work yourself. My daughter is driving a S70 and it's been very good for her, she loves the car and I don't mind doing work on it. However, I'm always doing work on it, every single time she comes home from college, I'm working on that darn car. I almost shiver when she tells me that she's coming to visit. Everything from a jammed door to a head gasket. Shiver shiver just thinking about it.

The car looks great and she is actually 2 states away right now in the car. She drives it anywhere and everywhere but I have to stay on top of it. My next project is control arms. Maybe I'll get a break after that.
+1.

I would go for an S40 but it's just my preference. I believe Jetta & Golf are made in Mexico but Volvos are still made in Sweden/Belgium.

JPN

Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gstump
Greetings,

New member here. I joined this site because we are currently looking to purchase a used car for my daughter and she likes Volvos and Volkswagens. Her budget is in the $3,000 to $4,000 range which in my area puts us around the year 2000 or so S70 or possibly an s40. Will be automatic but other than that we aren't focused on one particular year or model....just looking for the best value for the most reliable car for her. What I'm hoping to gather with this thread is suggestions from Volvo owners. I have already printed out a very helpful looking buyers guide from this site and will have that handy.

- Are there any specific years and or models to avoid/look for?

- Volvo S40 vs Jetta?

- Other comments?

Many thanks in advance for the tips and advice. I will be happy to post back what we were able to find for her.
What a coincidence; you're asking for an opinion and I just happen to have lots of them, especially on this topic...

MYs (model years): Steer clear of 1999-2003 please!

IMO the 850 is the best car volvo ever made except steer clear of first MY (1993) so look at '94-97. The N/A (normally aspirated or non-turbo) are a bit underpowered but if you don't care about that, they're fine (maybe a good thing for your daughter..) and just a bit more reliable than the turbo models.

The '98 MY S70 is essentially the 850 in slightly different skin; essentially the same mechanicals.

In '99 they changed at least 3 major systems and they had problems with all of them for years:
  1. Trans problems starting in '99 or so are legendary.
  2. Went from return type fuel injection system to returnless; lots of problems, again for years..
  3. Went from mechanical (cable) throttle to ETM (electronic throttle module, aka drive-by-wire); mucho problems; bad design; if you get one of these cars, when (not if) the ETS light comes on, replace w/Xemodex, better design than OE.
VWs are fun cars to drive but they seem like they're built cheap and break a lot.

I don't like the S40 or S60 (sorry; really ruffling some feathers now..); they seem cramped inside. Both my 850 and S70 ('98) seem small on the outside but roomy on the inside.

Don't know why I'm telling you all this (since you're in my neighborhood); now you're going to be bidding on cars I want...

Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Default thx

Great info gdog...thx!

I understand that most of the Passats that we're looking at are interference engines so if a timing belt is ever allowed to break things go boom. I've noticed that some of the Volvo's ads that I've read also make it a point to mention whether or not a timing belt has recently been replaced but they are not interference engines (at least I don't think the models are after 94) so I'm wondering why it's highlighted. Is that likely because they are so expensive to replace or will a broken belt also screw up some non-interference engines?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info gdog...thx!

I understand that most of the Passats that we're looking at are interference engines so if a timing belt is ever allowed to break things go boom. I've noticed that some of the Volvo's ads that I've read also make it a point to mention whether or not a timing belt has recently been replaced but they are not interference engines (at least I don't think the models are after 94) so I'm wondering why it's highlighted. Is that likely because they are so expensive to replace or will a broken belt also screw up some non-interference engines?
An interference engine means (among other things) that if the timing belt/chain breaks you will have (at a minimum) bent valves.

AFAIK all the volvo dual overhead cam engines are interference engines; this includes all the 850, S70, and V70 lines. I know at least some of the volvo single OH cam engines are non-interference but not sure if all of them are.

BTW: in my book an interference engine is a good thing since it means it's a higher performance engine (other things being equal) than a non-interference engine.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great info gdog...thx!

It's highlighted because it's an expensive repair. Or an all day job if you do it yourself. They are good for 70k to 100k before needing replaced so if your looking at a car with 110,000 and the belt was just changed you're good, if not then that's the first thing you need to do.

BTW - with any Volvo purchase the more history you have the better.

Last edited by donf; 01-15-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM

I usually visit Cars.com for reviews... Volvo was one of the first manufacturers to embrace the idea of low CO2 models.

Last edited by ericgarwood128; 01-30-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the Volvo 940? They are very good and reliable cars and were manufactured between 91 to 98. Basically they are the same car as the 740 produced from 85 with minor modifications. These cars are very easy to repair for amatuers,parts come cheap and they are very reliable cars with nearly no faults and they just run and run and run for miles and miles.That I can guaranty you but make sure you buy a well maintaned car with service history. Even repairs and maintanence is cheap.

Last edited by sicnarf; 01-30-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Default Looking for a used Volvo S40/S70...Suggestions?

i think volvo s40 is very good car and better then jetta. i you wants to buy a car you should buy volvo s40 instead of jetta. 90% model of volvo are good.
------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS