General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

My 240

Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 240

Hey all, it's been a while since I last posted here. I've spent a lot of time over on turbobricks and have done a lot to my car since I last posted. I haven't forgotten everyone here, my earliest 240 troubles were sorted out with help from members of this forum and I still lurk from time to time.

When I left my car was a beat, bone stock 244DL

From my turbobricks project thread:

My month-long engine swap project is finally complete. What was once a slow-as-a-snail-in-molasses 244DL is now a not-as-slow 244 Turbo and is soon to be a decently fast one. As you may remember, I created a thread when I had a catastrophic head gasket failure that took out a couple of rings on my B230. This meant engine replacement was in order, which was bad (because it costs a lot of money) and good (because it was an excellent excuse to make my car faster).

So I bought this, a B21FT with a VX3 cam, port and polish job, B230FT intake and adjustable cam gear. Along with a stock intercooler and 2.5" exhaust system sans downpipe. It was a massive deal for the price I paid.

Out with the old and in with the new (to me)

Many little snags along the way, including this pin... Which I swore at for hours before I hammered it in and clamped it the rest of the way out by torquing the surrounding bellhousing bolts down.

And this hole, which I wound up plugging with a bolt out of my 530 head that just so happened to fit. Boy those little snags eat up time...

It took me forever to source intercooler piping as well. I didn't want to spend $180 on high-quality, Made-In-The-USA silicone connectors and then some extra for aluminum piping from my local performance shops so I went to 5 junkyards and finally found 3 of the 4 stock rubber hoses and both metal pipes at the last of the junkyards (go figure)I still couldn't locate a 2" 90 degree bend from turbo to piping for the life of me... It took a week to finally break down and use a piece of pickup truck radiator hose.

I had get creative with the intake due to the extreme space constraints. Between the radiator hose, turbo cooling lines, transmission lines and AC drier, there was no space for a conventional intake. This was the solution, made out of a mix-match of junkyard flex hoses, stock intake piping and a 90 degree pvc bend, routed to half a stock airbox placed behind the bumper.

Just for fun, 2 extra horns were sourced from a junkyard car identical to mine but with less rust were added. As for the loudness... You know Volvo 240s have good horns, instead of having significantly loud horns, my car now has excessively loud horns.

Zip ties all around. I tried to start it, to no avail. The whitebody injectors were too much for the NA ECU.

Blacktop injectors back in, it finally ran.

Here's the video of my first test drive with the new motor:
http://www.youtube.com/v/7I5FEh3dq9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Update 1/25/10
I received a turbo ECU today and installed my (dirty) whitebody injectors. The difference is exponential! It idles smoother, responds faster and will now push you into your seat (above 3,000rpm, that is). Still some tuning and mods to be done, but I'm stoked to finally have the old Swede moving with gusto!

Update 2/9/10
New pictures! I just took these real quick since I washed and waxed the car today. If it had no rust it would look brand new :lol:

Update 3/9/10
For $14, I acquired all of this at a local JY...

Soon I will be running a CBV, no more compressor surge on lift off!
Once I work out how to route the bypassed air into the ghetto-fab intake I made that is...

Update 3/10/10

Today, $18 fetched me a full EZK ignition system and today I get to ditch the pesky Chrysler Lean Burn ignition system, a throwback to 1978, which has been ditched in favor of more modern and more primitive ignition systems alike since the day of its introduction. After my conversion to EZK is complete, I will raise my boost level to 15psi and reap the benefits of a more competent ignition system.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by varg; 03-11-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice car man.

15psi is fun.