General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Never saw this coming...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Never saw this coming...

Well I didn't see this coming, and nether did my boss, and company owner.

I'm getting laid off.

When my boss bought the business 8 months ago, and hired me on as a mechanic things were great business was on the up and up, and for months it has continued that trend, and still is. So busy we literally are struggling to keep up.

However, along with buying the business, my boss has been dealing with a lot of pitfalls left by the previous owner. Those pitfalls has left the company in a major rut financially. Having one lift break for good hasn't helped, leaving only one lift in working order, and the rest having to be done with a service jack and jack stands.

He is laying me off to help the company get out of the rut. Along with that he is cutting in every way possible to get back in the black. It looks like this is going to last 1 year or maybe a little more.

I have until the end of the month.

--Lifes Good Here--

Well, I know I can get another job, its just finding one thats going to be a real pain.

Keep'ya posted.

Last edited by rspi; 05-05-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, I didn't see that coming either as much stuff as you say comes through the shop.

I doubt that will last if they can't keep up with the work load. He'll be turning more people away without you, just doesn't make sense.

Hope things work out real fast for you.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Man, I didn't see that coming either as much stuff as you say comes through the shop.

I doubt that will last if they can't keep up with the work load. He'll be turning more people away without you, just doesn't make sense.

Hope things work out real fast for you.
Thanks.

What I mention in my other thread is stuff I work on (what I make my buck from) for the most part. I'm leaving out maybe another 20-40 % of it that my boss finds time to work on and/or that I miss.

Yes. I feel it will be harder for him, and I don't understand this option he chose. It is only two of us -- him and I.

He answers the phone calls mostly. He writes up the work orders (sometimes his wife does that too.) and he bounces around doing a lot more -- I find it incredible that he is able to do what he does so well, having recently turned 48 himself.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It's hard to run a small business. I know, I have run a few myself. Most people don't understand "overhead" and what it takes to keep a small business going. I shut down my last one. Went from 8 employees to just myself. Could not do it myself so I just shut it down. Building thousands of dollars of debt each month. Crazy!!!

Hang in there, things may work out. Start looking in the mean time.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Thanks.

I have ran my own under the table business before, and even that was tough.

Yes, overhead is a big player in his decision, but it is other "one time" things that got him in trouble, mostly stuff that he was made accountable for after he bought it, which didn't surface till months later.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but I'll admit I don't really understand it. From the amount you have been working it sounds like you have been making a ton of money for the business as well as for yourself. I don't see how laying you off will improve your boss's financial situation. Anyway, good luck with the job hunt.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Yes thank you. I am starting to think he is doing this to get the company back on its feet faster.

Applied to about a dozen places, I have 4 interviews so far in 3 days.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Well got another job lined up. 4 days till i'm off insurance at my current job.

I have had 8 job offers thrown at me in the last 3 weeks.

I accepted one. A local celerity, and friend of mine who owns 2 automotive business and a few gas stations and some other local business. I got a job at one of shops as a "groundhog" but I will still be making the same as I was, so things worked out well.

I had a few calls from corporate automotive shops, a couple dealerships, and some local shops -- I did not post my resume, or ask for jobs (to the places who contacted me), just word of mouth. I never realized how many people know who I am and what i'm capable of. Connections.

I learned a lot from my current job as a Volvo mechanic. But I tell the truth I don't know it all and probably never will with as much new technology being built into cars nowadays. However I am being "laid off" so I may be back there after too long, only time will tell.