General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Oil in Coolant tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Coolant tank

Hi

Hi

I started seeing a change in the coolant of my XC60 D5 ’10 .It ended up being oil that was leaking into the expansion tank. The dealer saidthat it could either be the oil cooler or the head gasket.

They ended up changing the oil cooler and the mechanic saidthat the membrane was cracked allowing the oil to push into the coolant lines.

By then the coolant turned into a grease like substance andthe mechanic flushed out all the pipes and radiator, and refilled the tank withthe blue coolant.

When I went to pick up the car there was a thin film of oilin the tank and they told me that it will happen that there is still somegrease sludge somewhere in the system and that it will come loose. So they willdo a flush again on the next service.

It is now 2 weeks later and my coolant tank is again filled witha graphite colour substance which is the blue coolant mixed with oil.

Is there any other reason for this to happen ?

Or is the mechanic write and there is still some muck thathas to wash out again ?

Thank you

Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by isiwoni
Is there any other reason for this to happen ?
There is always a reason for it... the question is, did they fix the problem?

You can use a paper towel to try to get the oil sludge off of the top of the coolant in the bottle. Do it when the motor is cold and not running. It may take a long time to get oil out of the coolant system once introduced.

The best way to know that the problem is fixed, is to get the oil out of the coolant or make sure the oil contamination is not getting worse.

If the car runs good and you are not getting coolant into the oil system, you should be ok.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can never flush out all the oil in the coolant system. u can only do more flush to remove most of the oil from the system to the best possible. I would more concern if there is still any more oil leaking into the cooling system. u can monitor the oil level and do a blow-by test on the coolant reservoir.