General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Oill Pressure Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oill Pressure Warning Light

Ok so here it goes. I have this problem with the oil pressure warning light coming on after a few miles of driving. I can shut the car off for a few minutes and it will "reset" and I can drive again for a few miles. The car will idle for 45 minutes with no oil warning light. Sometimes the light will flicker on then off again on it's own.

I have dropped the pan, cleaned the oil pan and oil pick-up. I have changed the PVC/oil trap (wow, had to practicallly take the engine apart to do that!). I have changed the oil sending unit. I cleaned the VVT. I put some Marvel mystery oil, did an engine flush, changed the oil twice.

The engine had some oil residue (not sludge) in it, but did not seem too bad. I have driven the car at least 75 miles with the light on so I don't belileve it is catastrophic. I have not changed the oil pump nor have I physically taken the head off and cleaned the top of the engine. The engine sounds good and runs good.

Pretty much stumped at this point. Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lscover
Ok so here it goes. I have this problem with the oil pressure warning light coming on after a few miles of driving. I can shut the car off for a few minutes and it will "reset" and I can drive again for a few miles. The car will idle for 45 minutes with no oil warning light. Sometimes the light will flicker on then off again on it's own.

I have dropped the pan, cleaned the oil pan and oil pick-up. I have changed the PVC/oil trap (wow, had to practicallly take the engine apart to do that!). I have changed the oil sending unit. I cleaned the VVT. I put some Marvel mystery oil, did an engine flush, changed the oil twice.

The engine had some oil residue (not sludge) in it, but did not seem too bad. I have driven the car at least 75 miles with the light on so I don't belileve it is catastrophic. I have not changed the oil pump nor have I physically taken the head off and cleaned the top of the engine. The engine sounds good and runs good.

Pretty much stumped at this point. Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated.
Well I'm stumped too, since I don't know what kind of car you have, how many miles are on it, any other context that might help us out here..

Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Your other lost didn't mention you had changed the sender. You did all that work without first simply measuring the pressure?

And some advice- don't drive it with low oil pressure. I hope I don't need to explain that.