General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Question

Hey all, so i've done everything I read to do about a paintjob. I sanded it, primed it, basecoated it 3x's, and clear coated 3x's. but my cars newly painted finish lacks gloss and shine. I tried waxing it, but it still didn't help. How can I get the paint to shine and look glossy? I read somewhere something about a buffer? What wax do you use when you buffer? Anyone have any good ideas on some decent (cheap) buffers to buy?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Paint Question

1. What did you use to apply the paint and clear coat? Spray gun? Spray can? Paint rollers? Also did you use OEM quality paint?

2. What wax were you using?

3. Buy an Orbital Buffer/Polisher unit. I have a Craftsman and love it I believe there is a brand called Porter or Porter Cable which are also good.

4. I would suggest that you start by Clay Baring your car. There are many different brands of clay bar systems on the market. I use the MOTHERS system. Secondly apply Polish to your cars paint. Depending on the color you painted it you may want to use a polish that is suited for darker cars like Mequiars Deep Cystal Polish. I use it on my white car and love it but it would do a much better job on a darker car like red or black. Third apply a good wax, preferably one that has Carnauba wax in it like MOTHERS Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

Apply the Clay Bar system with the provided instructions.

Apply the polish and the wax with the Oribital buffer/polisher unit.

You should get good results.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 PM

automotivetouchup.com I believe. I don't know if its OEM quality or not.

The wax was just standard turtle wax. Also, I used a rattle can for everything.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:45 PM

Should I get Polish too? You said "apply the polish AND the wax". Where should I get the polish and what kind?

Old 08-25-2007, 01:19 PM

You might need to use a rubbing compound. Look at the Dupli color website and see if that's what its for. Or better yet, send them an email and ask.

My friend is painting his CF hood and the bumpers and I think that's what he told me the rubbing compound was for.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:23 PM

If you read my thread above it tells you what you should try.

1. Get an Orbital buffer/polisher unit. Craftsman makes one and I think it is Porter and or Porter Cable makes one. So do other people.

2. Get Polish. Again depending on what color you painted it if it is dark you might want to dry one for dark colored cars such as the Mequiars Deep Cyrstal polish.

3. You should get a wax that contains some amount % of Carnauba in it such as the MOTHERS Carnauba Cleaner Wax. Also Zymol makes nice waxes as well with Carnauba in them.

4. Use a clay bar system. I use MOTHERS I like it but there are plenty of other brands out there.

Steps to Use

a. Start with the clay bar system and read and follow the instructions.

b. Apply the polish to the car with the buffer/polisher unit. You will apply the polish to the applicator pad (bonnet) and then do what the instruactions say for the polish and how to use the orbital buffer/polisher unit. Then you will take that bonnet off and apply the polishing bonnet and you will polish the car with a clean bonnet. Remember read the instructions of the polish and also the buffer/polisher unit for how to apply it.

c. The same thing applys for the wax you apply it the same way on another applicator pad (bonnet) and work it into the car with the buffer/polisher unit. Then when your done you use another clean polisher bonnet and polish it. Same thing goes for the wax read the instructions of the wax and the buffer/polisher unit to apply the wax.

d. Then you use the provided buffer bonnet and polish the entire car to a high shine.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:30 PM

By the way I didn't read your entire last post and then I went back and did. I noticed you said you used a spray can for the entire project.

1. Bad idea.

2. This is probably another reason why your not getting a nice shine.

3. Should have gone to MACCO. Yeah they might do cheap work but it would look a hell of a lot better then any spray can job trust me. Or have bought a paint gun system which you can buy cheap ones but again the paint job will look cheap.

I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down on you. Not trying to be rude either just being logical.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:12 PM

^I think Hotrod Magizine just did a paint job for 99 bucks and it came out pretty good.

My friend who's painting his CF hood/ another hood and bumpers, just spent around 400 dollars on paint lol. I'll let you guys know how it turns out and if it looks like OEM quality.

But you're right. For 400 bucks, I think you could have Maaco paint it. Btw, how well does Maaco color match?

Old 08-25-2007, 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

^I think Hotrod Magizine just did a paint job for 99 bucks and it came out pretty good.

My friend who's painting his CF hood/ another hood and bumpers, just spent around 400 dollars on paint lol. I'll let you guys know how it turns out and if it looks like OEM quality.

But you're right. For 400 bucks, I think you could have Maaco paint it. Btw, how well does Maaco color match?
They better color match exactly. It isn't that hard to locate Volvo paint code paints. I mean my local run of the mill body shop painted my eyebrows on my car for me and the match nicely.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 AM

As promised, I talked to my friend.

The rubbing compound is almost like 2000 grit sandpaper. It is a pain in the *** to apply, but once you apply it, the car is really really shiny and the paint job looks very good.

As to the paint from the spray can, he said there is too much pressure, and the paint comes out in lines, instead of a nice even coat. Luckily, he has a black car, so during the day, a nice wax should cover it up, and at night, you can't even tell.

But at 25 dollars a can of basecoat.
25 for clear.
and 4 for rubbing compound, it'd be worth your time to go to a shop.

Edit: Really, I think a nice paint gun would do the trick. The problem is that the pressure it too great.

Double Edit: Pick up some of the rubbing compound, and then use some of this wax, and I think you should be ok.

This is a post from Volvo Speed:

First off. I waxed the C70 with a new (to me) wax this weekend. The product is called Black Velvet from topoftheline.com (http://www.topoftheline.com/black-wax-carnauba.html). I must say, this is hands down the best wax I have used on the car. I have had Zymol Carbon, Meguiars Gold Class, etc. This is easy (I waxed the whole car in the garage, let it sit 15 minutes, then wiped it off). It covers minor chips and dries black. Simply awesome for black cars.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 AM

Hi everyone,

Patdon10, the first thing you need to do is to talk to the supplier
of the paint and describe your problem. If you start putting on
waxes etc. you will just make your problem worse. If you have
to do any resanding, repainting, or rubbing you will have to
remove the wax.

RedTurbo850 is right. The usual process for painting is:

1. Prime according to paint manufacturer's instructions.
Wet sand primer coat and reprime as necessary.

2. Spray base (color) coat. Wetsand with 600 to 1200
sandpaper (paper must be type for wetsanding).
Repeat process until color is even and entire surface
is smooth.
Note- some metallic paints do not respond well to
sanding and will turn dull-check with manufacturer.

3. Spray clear coat and wetsand with 600 to 1200 (or
finer) sandpaper. Repeat until desired paint thickness
is achieved and finish is completely smooth.

4. At this point the finish will be smooth but dull from the
wetsanding. Now you use the rubbing compound to take
out the microscopic scratches left from the sanding.
Rubbing compounds come in different grades ( grits).
Use the grade recommended by the paint supplier.

5. Once the desired gloss is achieved you put on a quality
wax to finish the job.

The above steps are a generalization. Check with your paint
supplier in case they recommend any changes in the above
procedure.

The waxes, polishes, and clay bar systems I have tried are
not abrasive enough to take out the scratches left from wet
sanding.

Best regards, John