General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

part missing fron rear of engine block

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default part missing fron rear of engine block

I have a o2 s60 non terbo a part is missing from the rear of the engine there is a
hole about the size of a quarter the whole is smooth sided and about an inch deep it is in the center of the block (as the engine sets in the car sideways) about 6 inches above the oil pan looking up and front, when you rev the engine it blows oil out this hole at low speed a small trickle when the machanic put it on the lift with a mirror you can look down in the hole at the bottom is a small hole about 1/4 inch no wires or hose hang around it. it appears to be brass inside and looks like something pushes into it. the amount of oil that was lost was about 3 qts in 10 miles at 80 mph. talked to Lehman volvo in harrisburg, Pa.they are baffled as to the missing part. said nothing there but I saw the hole myself, I must identify the part so i can replace it. looking for a shop manual that will show an exploded view. Lehaman rep said its a freeze plug but it leaks engine oil not antifreeze any info would help

Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My thoughts were a freeze plug as well. You should post a picture of video of the hole.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like the plug for where the turbo return line connects on turbo models.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refer to this link ex. Matthews forum.
I remember reading this some time back.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=30246

Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM

thanks est6 bet you are correct, i guess my car being non turbo would have a plug in the hole any ideas on what part i would as for at a parts store? and would a shop manual show the part??? thx JAYCE

Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 AM

thx rspi tryed to take pic but the way its up above line of site you cannot get a pic
thx jr

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM

thanks difflock54 I will go 2 the site
thx
jr

Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know if a parts store will have it, might have to get it from the dealer. Its only about $6

Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
I don't know if a parts store will have it, might have to get it from the dealer. Its only about $6
Thx to all of you guys with your help i went to a dealer and told them what part is needed cost $4.00. after i told them what was needed they said"all yha i know just what is needed"hummmmm sounds like they were looking for repair work. looks like a small cup that taps into the hole. Now my question is why did it come out? Advance auto pts says the car has no pcv valve so what elese should i look at on the crank cases vent system??? as if this part blows out due to high preasure just putting a new one in will not solve the problem. any sugestions would help. agait thanks for your time.
jayce

Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by jaycerupp
thanks difflock54 I will go 2 the site
thx
jr
I looked at the site it was verry helpful thanks for your time.still must try to mind what caused the part to blow out
thx
jayce

Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote from one of the threads on the Mathews forum link.

Re: does anyone know what this hole in my engine is

by drjeckle » 04 Jan 2011, 15:42
The dealer here in Las Vegas found the same plug missing when they replaced the fuel pump under the recent recall notice. I was told that the original design of the plug was not able to hold the internal pressures inside of the engine block and that the new plug was redesigned to stay in the hole. If that is true, why have we not seen a recall on this? It is an engine design problem. I was quoted $350.00 to install a new plug. I plan to purchase a new plug from the dealer and study the plug and hole to see if it can be installed from under the car without removing the exhaust manifold, or a tool can be designed to put the plug in from under the engine.

If the plug was redesigned in any way and it is the one you have purchased to replace, then theoretically the problem may be solved.
There seems to be an issue over it being a recall item however which is worth having checked out by the dealer in your area for possible resolution.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

It is not a recall. A lot of people think that just because a problem is common or a part number is changed, it should be a recall.

I don't think the part was "redesigned" . Its just a simple freeze plug, not much to it. $350 to replace is nuts though. It can easily be done without removing the manifold.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by difflock54
Quote from one of the threads on the Mathews forum link.

Re: does anyone know what this hole in my engine is

by drjeckle » 04 Jan 2011, 15:42
The dealer here in Las Vegas found the same plug missing when they replaced the fuel pump under the recent recall notice. I was told that the original design of the plug was not able to hold the internal pressures inside of the engine block and that the new plug was redesigned to stay in the hole. If that is true, why have we not seen a recall on this? It is an engine design problem. I was quoted $350.00 to install a new plug. I plan to purchase a new plug from the dealer and study the plug and hole to see if it can be installed from under the car without removing the exhaust manifold, or a tool can be designed to put the plug in from under the engine.

If the plug was redesigned in any way and it is the one you have purchased to replace, then theoretically the problem may be solved.
There seems to be an issue over it being a recall item however which is worth having checked out by the dealer in your area for possible resolution.
I am in the middle of replacing this plug I have appointment tuesday at my local shop to put this plug back in The best way I can decribe it is a high sided bottle cap. I have one in my hand it measures 20 mm ,is round and 8mm high looks to be made of aluminium. according to dealer goes in with the cup in the up position and friction is what holds it in, the hole has no use on a non-terbo. I think the entire hole should have been eliminated by the factory on non-terbo engines this is a mickey mouse patch job by volvo. but it is a simple install if you have a lift. But i agree that it should be checked any time you can because if this plug blows out at high speed and you miss the oil light comming on you will blow the engine as mine lost 3qts of oil in 10 miles at extreamly high speed. And i agree that it should be a recall item just because the loss of a $ 4.00 (dealer price) part could destroy a $1,000.00 engine. This part cannot cost$.05 to produce and should take Volvo 10 mts. to replace. Just the goodwill by volvo should be worth that. and they want me to buy another one .

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

No, it is not a recall and won't be. And they are not going to mold two different blocks for turbo and non turbo when they can plug the hole on a non turbo.

The car made it well out of warranty. It is the driver's responsibility to maintain and repair it from that point.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Guess one could get the hole threaded for a screw in plug with fibre washer if you had the motor out and fully stripped down.
Metal filings from threading would not be good to the insides of the motor otherwise.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jaycerupp
Thx to all of you guys with your help i went to a dealer and told them what part is needed cost $4.00. after i told them what was needed they said"all yha i know just what is needed"hummmmm sounds like they were looking for repair work. looks like a small cup that taps into the hole. Now my question is why did it come out? Advance auto pts says the car has no pcv valve so what elese should i look at on the crank cases vent system??? as if this part blows out due to high preasure just putting a new one in will not solve the problem. any sugestions would help. agait thanks for your time.
jayce
just wanted to close this thread out I had the sealing plug installed it took 5 minutes on the lift, had plenty of room to tap the plug in ,the volvo part Number is 8687868. I hope it stays in Thank s for all the help
Jayce Rupp

Last edited by jaycerupp; 04-16-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: had wrong part number