General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Premium needed on S70?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Premium needed on S70?

Recently we purchased a 2002 S60 AWD for my wife to drive. Its been a long time since I owned a Volvo (last was a P544) and I forgot how nice they are to drive. So now I want one. I am lurking about looking for an S70. Do you need premium for an S70. The 2002 manual S60 says that the min octane is 87 AKI. We've been running the 2002 on 89 RON and just finished a 200 mile run at an average speed of 54 MPH. The car averaged 28 MPG. Not bad for a 10 year old all wheel drive and I am happy.

I'm also a Jag driver and even though the manual clearly states Premium gas, there are guys on the forum that have driven their older XJ6 models 200,000 miles on regular gas. A lot depends on drivers driving style.

Anyhow what about the S70. I am a normal driver, not aggressive but not a slacker either.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Do a search, mainly in the owners manual. As you know but did not write, the manual clearly states the 91+ is recommended. Many drive them on 87+. All Volvo cars built after '95 are suppose to use 91+.

The only time you can tell the difference, other than if the fuel economy drops a little, is when you are putting a load on the motor and the car dials back the timing to avoid knock. I read people posting about loosing speed going up hills on the interstate, slow acceleration, poor gas mileage, etc. I have a bad o2 sensor and still get 21 around town and 27 mpg on the freeway. I believe it contributes to burnt vales as well but that's only my opinion.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a manual. I am starting a search to buy the car and I read that the S70 was a good year.

I'm tired of buying premium gas and think I will look for a car built before 95.

The manual in the 2002 S60 says that minimum is 87 AKI. I am not sure how that relates to the PON we see on pumps here in the USA. In the USA there is the (RON+MON)/2 that gives us the PON on the pump. Do some stations have a different RON and MON?

I found a site that will do the calculations --

Octane Information And Calculator

"High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine. Consumers should select the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking. Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. On the other hand, a heavy or persistent knock may result in engine damage. "

Fuel ratings, RON, MON or PON?

Originally Posted by rspi
Do a search, mainly in the owners manual. As you know but did not write, the manual clearly states the 91+ is recommended. Many drive them on 87+. All Volvo cars built after '95 are suppose to use 91+.

The only time you can tell the difference, other than if the fuel economy drops a little, is when you are putting a load on the motor and the car dials back the timing to avoid knock. I read people posting about loosing speed going up hills on the interstate, slow acceleration, poor gas mileage, etc. I have a bad o2 sensor and still get 21 around town and 27 mpg on the freeway. I believe it contributes to burnt vales as well but that's only my opinion.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The key word there was knocking. These cars can and will knock if fuel rated below 91 octane is used. However, if the knock sensor system is working as designed, it will usually dial the timing back to avoid it, thus effecting performance.

You can access the owners manual online @ www.volvocars.com. And try to remember, doing the minimum is not usually good when it comes to car care.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

This has been discussed many times. The car will run fine on 87. Premium is not required. That's as far as I'll go, as the last time I chimed in on this subject, several members who do not understand octane, knock, pre-ignition and detonation jumped all over me. If you want to run 91, go for it.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69726

Last edited by ES6T; 09-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
This has been discussed many times. The car will run fine on 87. Premium is not required. That's as far as I'll go, as the last time I chimed in on this subject, several members who do not understand octane, knock, pre-ignition and detonation jumped all over me. If you want to run 91, go for it.

Gasoline grade - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum
Man, how did I miss that jump-fest??!!

I agree 99.8% w/ES6T. If your owners manual recommends premium, then that's what will give you the max performance and gas mileage; it may or may not be a big delta depending on your driving habits. But like rspi said your engine has knock sensors and will adjust to regular fuel and should not cause any engine damage.