General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

To repair or not repair, that is my question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To repair or not repair, that is my question

I have a 1989 740 wagon, 235k, paid $1500 for it 2-years ago from my mechanic. I feel as if I have invested a good deal of $$ into it and was wondering how do you know if it's time to repair it or sell it? This is what has been repaired/replaced, besides the usual oil change and mileage service:
-new tires, pads, rotors, seal bearings, shocks, struts, belts, a carbonator repair, and a refurbished transmission

Oh, my antartica a/c died this summer, but I will not fix it.

I love this wagon, I see the repairs as an investment into what can be even more of a sweet wagon, and I put around 20k+ miles on it a year, which tells me it should be solid. I am aware that the above items are usual with the wear-and-tear, but how do you know when it’s no longer reasonable to fix it and just buy another one?

And no, I will never replace the Volvo with a newer vehicle as I’ve been there, done that, and I’ve learned that my older cars have out lasted the newer ones (I use to own a blueberry-blue 79’ AMC Gremlin).

Any advice would be great as I have begun to feel that I maybe spending more than I should. Thank you!

Ana
My wagon--> https://volvoforums.com/forum/member...131-3359-3092/

Last edited by abelyear; 10-04-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 10-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Volvos last a very long time - but not without issues. You've done most things already and it's not worth alot - drive it till it drops dead then get another. Gremlins were bullit proof.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 AM

Think IMO it is a finance question. All considered it has depreciated value wise all the way. So whatever cost to fix that comes up from here on out is just a matter of cost to fix versus cost to replace. Probably no "right" answer on this question, just what you want.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Those late '80's 740 are probably the lowest maintenance cars ever made. I had an '87 model and put over 400k on the thing before I gave it away. Here is my rule of thumb, when you are tired of it, it looks like crap, it needs work monthly (like 6 months straight), cut bait and dump it. Anything that you replace it with that has more than 50k on it will need just as much or more work on it.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:01 AM

agree with bulldog

Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
bne

I'm going thru the same issues..Rebuild her or get a slightly newer model. My '97 850 T5 wagon is close to 200k miles. The list of things that are not making me happy is growing longer...I have replaced both front axles and CV boots...both front wheel bearings...new fuel pump..This year the AC compressor died...my sunroof broke and is non operable now...the paint is in bad shape.in need of rear shocks...needs new serpentine belt...engine mounts(upper) the front end has a vibration at speeds over 70...the brakes work well but the aftermarket pads suck and it always makes grinding sounds when braking...and there is an oil leak somewher between the engine and the transmission...finally it smokes white smoke when starting up(told is was the valves and to use a high viscosity oil)...
With all that said..the engine and transmission show no signs of giving up..in fact they are so strong that when I test drove another car..a 98 S70 T5 it wasnt as quick or responsive in Sport mode as was my 850...So the dilemma...Do I go and buy a later model S70 and spend close to $4000 or do I continue to sink more $ into a known car. What I have determined is its prolly cheaper to fix what I have although some of these issue are getting a bit long in the tooth,so to say.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Administrator

You should be able to find a pretty clean V70 for under $3,000.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 PM
bne

Originally Posted by rspi
You should be able to find a pretty clean V70 for under $3,000.
I'd like to know where...around the Raleigh area no such luck...and i look daily on CL. Aside from that I really hate to give this car up...ok I just found something that would definitely be worthy of ownership and just barely under $3k...so Thanks for getting me to look around...gotta make a call and see if its still forsale...dont want to tip my hand although the car is listed forsale in the classifieds here...

Last edited by bne; 10-11-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator

The best car to find is the one that a dad is trying to give to his son or daughter and they are rejecting it. But do NOT be afraid to make these people offers. You can go at it two ways. 1. Pick the car apart and make them an offer for blue book minus what service/repairs need to be done. 2. Act poor and tell them you really like their car and wish it wasn't in such good shape but all you have (can afford) is $*,***. If they don't need the money they may take it. Not to mention that you have those 75% people that price high expecting to come down. The car is foeign and over 12 years old.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 AM
bne

Appreciate the advice...I've decided to stick with my 850 T5...it comes down to how much i want to spend...alot of other factors come into play as well(bad economy...poor prospects in the job market...uncertain future) so the decision to put some more $ into what i have turns out to be the least expensive option. I already know where this car is and has been...so if I throw another $3k or less into it..I'll have what I've been wishing for all in one car...Most of that $$ will go for a quality paint job.