General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Rough idle, chech engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle, chech engine light

Hello one and all Vovlo guru's,

Haven a little Volvo trouble and I'm setting out here in the middle of
the Pacific on Kauai and a whole island away from a dealership.

Car: 2001 v70 xc (That I love, & goes everywhere)

Prob: Car was running great all evening, parked for a couple of hours,
but when it was time to go home...

Reallty rough idle, check engine light, and message bar said:
ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT.

Turn off, removed some fuses, and managed to trick her into riding home, without trouble.
But of course that luck would not last long, nor do I want to ignore the problem.

Have a friend who's a recent X Volvo Mech. on the mainland. He said its most likely,
Electronic Throttle Control Mod. and that many where in fact recalled and covered.

Trouble is... The closest Volvo dealership is on Oahu, one island over... We do have some foriegn
car repair shops on Kauai and also a Ford dealership.

Any suggestions or helpful numers? Thanks a million and look forward to any and all.

El Jedi
PS. Cars only been over hear six months, before that all service was by Santa Monica Saab.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rough idle, check engine light

AlohaEl Jedi,

Welcome to the forum, and sorry for delayed reply. I live in Japan and my current job has been driving me insane[8D].

Anyway, living in Hawaii may be a bit difficult to service Volvos, if the dealer is an island away. Can you ferry it to the island where the dealer is? Or ferrying overpriced?

If you are willing to do your own maintenance, it would be the best bet so you wouldn't have to ferry it to the dealer every time your car develops a problem.

FYR:
I would buy a basic set of metric tools + Torx bits at Sears Craftsman, a $20-$30 digital multimeter and an OBD-II reader (I personally recommend Actron's CP 9175 but you can shop around for better scanners with less money).

Here're the recalls I found on your car:

http://automallusa.net/2001/volvo/v70/recalls.html

This one seems to be the closest to your problem:

2001 VOLVO V70 Recall ID from NHTSA: 06V441000

Auto Recall Date: 20061115
Vehicle Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 170099
2001 VOLVO V70 Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, A COMBINATION OF THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR IRREGULARITIES, A DIRTY THROTTLE HOUSING, AND/OR INEFFICIENT SOFTWARE CALIBRATION MAY CAUSE A WARNING LAMP TO LIGHT AND THE SUBSEQUENT ONSET OF LIMP HOME MODES.
Defect Consequence:
THIS RESULTED IN A HIGH NUMBER OF VEHICLES GOING INTO THE LIMP HOME MODE WITHOUT NEED.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL THE CURRENT SOFTWARE UPGRADE ONTO THE INVOLVED VEHICLES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 29, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.
Notes: VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC., R155

I hope this gets you started. Good luck and give us a buzz in case if the problem persists.

JPN

P.S: MFG recalls are repaired at the dealer, without any charge to the customers.