General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.
View Poll Results: Should I Junk the Car
Yes
50.00%
Need more info before I can answer.
0%
No
50.00%
Absolutely Not
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Show I junk 1968 Volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show I junk 1968 Volvo?

I don't officially own a Volvo but do possess one. I have stored (at my farm near Erie IL) a 1968 Volvo, Model 144 I think, for a guy for about 15 years. He stopped paying his storage rent and no longer wants the car. He has lost the car title and keys. I've pulled it out side.

The Sheriff told me a can get a title required to junk at no cost. But this title can only be used by salvage yards and they are paying $50/Ton. So there is no way I'm going to recovery my back rent. IF I can get the owner to work with me I can get him a replacement title for $95 plus another $95 to put it in my name. Then I can sell the car for restoration. The car is solid and I think it was driven to my farm but don't know if the engine now turns.

I'm looking for info/opinions to help me decide whether to gamble on spending $190 to recoup my back storage rent - about $200. The car probably has some mouse damage. The tires leak air but I was able to pump them up. The doors seem to work ok. The body appears to be in reasonably good condition - no obvious dents or rust spots/holes. Is this something I can sell as-is where-is and make a few bucks for my effort or is it time for the crusher? I have absolutely no idea what this 48 year old car is worth. It's located near the 15 miles east of Mississippi River across the state from Chicago.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and providing me your opinion!

Bob

Old 04-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Every time this sort of thing comes up (and it does come up rather regularly, must be a Volvo in every other barn!) somewhere in the question is the term "restoration". Restoration means to basically make like new, a time consuming and expensive proposition Still, generally well worth it for a vintage Ferrari or Dodge Daytona. For a Volvo 144? Unless it a in near perfect condition AND you are going to turn the wrenches and spray the paint yourself it is going to be a money hole. However, if you are mechanically adept, you may turn it into a driver for a reasonable amount. Rodent damage is ALWAYS more extensive than you think and that can add to the list of needed repairs fast. (Side note, invest in a few 'Barn Cats")Hoses, tires, and other rubber parts will be shot. Tank and radiator, heater core need dropped, cleaned/replaced. Maybe the engine won't need rebuilt - maybe. Remember, the guy parked it there for a reason and has no interest in retrieving it- he knows the condition better than you!

But, all is not lost. If the body is good, I think 400 is a reasonable return to be expected, likely more. I wish I lived near you - I have a few cars I would love to store for what you must be charging.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If you want money, part it out. If you want it gone, crush it. That's what I think.