General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

SRS Air bag service urgent

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Air bag service urgent

Need advice for 2004 s80 T5-- I have this message displayed in the DIM. But let me try to explain how it got there and see if anyone may know a solution. Bought car, sunroof didn't work, replaced alarm now sunroof works. Couple weeks later, all instrument cluster goes dead, except lower left info center, car goes into limp mode, A/C quits but fan works, abs light comes on briefly, windows may or may not work, remote keyless entry doesn't work, basically nothing works except limp mode. This happened a couple of times and just seemed to fix itself after restarting car, so paid to have SRS light cleared- no codes found btw. Now wife tired of it acting stupid so carried to local Volvo dealership, they updated all the software and found couple items saying no communication, but said the resolved. Was told if it happened again would need a new DIM. Well sent DIM to bba reman and they called and said there are no issues with mine, so shipping back to me with refund (wow). So I asked the man on the phone well if nothing wrong why doesn't it work, his reply was its your ECM. If anyone has an idea please let me know. And where is ECM located, behind instrument cluster or passenger engine compartment?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's not likely your ECM and if it was, there would be no way for the guy at BBA to tell just by looking at the DIM. The ECM doesn't even communicate directly with the DIM.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The description of your issue coincides with other posters on Volvo forums. Generally speaking it doesn't seem easy to fix. As per Volvo they directed you to the DIM which itself can act like yours, but it won't affect the normal functioning of the engine or other electric accessories. Volvo can read codes but the codes will be about the network communication issue which doesn't point to the faulty item.

Things to check as of other posters, are the CEM located behind the instrument cluster (not the same thing as the ECM), the ABS module, the main computer located inside the engine bay. Others with the same issue have checked/replaced such items without success though. Also you can have a look at the wiring or a loose/corroded connectors. Some cars had water leaking behind the instrument panel (from the sunroof drain tube) which caused electrical issues.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, The guy at bba reman said it was the CEM not the ECM as I originally posted. Could really use all advice I can get as this is my first volvo. Really like the car but could be last one for me if I cant resolve without losing another arm!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, it could certainly be the CEM.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Yes, it could certainly be the CEM.
Thanks for all the advice- got DIM back and installed calling dealer this morning to have srs code cleared for module and then also cleared from DIM, was told has to be that order or code may come back. After this if code comes back I guess CEM off to bba for a fix. Btw not sure if codes ever been cleared in order or just cleared, so giving it a shot hoping for best.

Last edited by pcua28; 07-09-2014 at 11:03 AM.