General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT and other crazy things probably related to my stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT and other crazy things probably related to my stereo

Hello - I'm new to the forum (and format), but am not new to going the extra mile to find out about my Volvo service issues. Here is the latest in the saga of my 04 XC90 T6:

- I bought it in 08, 29k
- a year later, fuel filter recall, replaced
- a year later, the LED on the radio went out - $1100 quote for module
- eventually, the illumination on the radio starting blinking (still no LED)
- eventually, the cd player quit working (and I've had six cds stuck in there for the past four years at least)
- other quirks of the "disco dash stereo" - it sometimes won't power off after you've turned the key off, sometimes it won't power on if you've powered it off (so, I tell everyone NEVER to turn it off!), and the search/volume keys on the steering wheel sometimes work, sometimes don't, AND, for giggles, sometimes work uncontrollably (for example, pressing the up volume once and the volume suddenly, uncontrollably, going to FULL without you pressing anything and blowing your face off!...only fixed by turning the dial down on the stereo face
- BEYOND ALL THAT - I've just learned to live with it
- I HAVE been told that the module that operates the stock radio situation is also the module responsible for the SRS and the dash
- I recently had to replace the battery, and it was done by my local tire store. Before I had it replaced, I must have run the car's battery down 5 or 6 times, by accident, not knowing my battery was done for, so, I had several times where I had to jump the car to start it before I finally replaced the battery.
- one month has gone by, I was gone for that month, I came back. I got in the car the other day and it suddenly had the SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT warning light on
- I had the car running, in park, for about an hour because I got caught up visiting with some relatives as I was leaving
- I got back in the car and the DASH - lights, gauges, everything - gone.
- I drove home (5 miles) and parked it.
- the next day, I got in, DASH WORKS, but SRS AIRBAG warning is still on

After reading extensively on the stereo issue (years ago), I am pretty familiar with the issue: it's a module, and one I didn't think I needed to spend $1100 on.

After reading about this SRS light in similar posts: it sounds like it actually could be related to my battery being changed improperly

1 - Do I go to a dealer and have them put it on the diagnostic computer and tell me, yes, it's your stereo module that's connected to your SRS and your dash that needs to be replaced (like usual)? Or will they tell me it's just a battery disconnection/connection problem?

2 - or do I fix it myself by disconnecting and connecting my battery properly?

3 - I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's the end of the road about the module and I need to replace it for the small ransom or if it's just a connection issue that's causing this warning light that I've NEVER seen, not after having the crazy disco dash stereo for over four years now, when I've recently had my battery replaced by a non-Volvo dealer....(because I'm still willing to live without the stereo bec I don't want to spend $1100 just to have the stereo back in full operational standard)

Your kind thoughts appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by banekl; 01-21-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:57 AM

1.most likely u need a machine that could reset srs dtc. There is aftermarket machine that set SRS DTC. 2) I don't think by disconnecting the battery would help, but u can always try. 3) i don't really think the SRS is cause by the radio issue. by u can never be 100% sure cuz they r all running by network.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Thank you for the notes - I might disconnect the battery as an eliminating factor and then find my way to a dealer or shop that can reset or confirm the error code.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibanez958
1.most likely u need a machine that could reset srs dtc. There is aftermarket machine that set SRS DTC. 2) I don't think by disconnecting the battery would help, but u can always try. 3) i don't really think the SRS is cause by the radio issue. by u can never be 100% sure cuz they r all running by network.
+1
the srs message seems related to the radio. since the radio is doing free games, chance is once reset the srs message might came back one day. better invest and get the code reader and reset it by yourself. the reader will cost less on ebay that the reset at the dealer.

disconnecting battery doesn't remove the srs messages

Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by oragex
+1
the srs message seems related to the radio. since the radio is doing free games, chance is once reset the srs message might came back one day. better invest and get the code reader and reset it by yourself. the reader will cost less on ebay that the reset at the dealer.

disconnecting battery doesn't remove the srs messages
A generic OBDII code reader won't read or clear SRS codes.

The radio is part of the network and can interrupt communication with the SRS control module, which would set that warning light. The only way to tell is with the codes though.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Just get it fixed. People spend a couple hundred dollars per month on their cars. It will be nice to have that stuff working properly.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Thx all. The dash went out again yesterday. Today, dash working, SRS message still there.

I think my radio/module issue has finally affected the dash and SRS (as a service manager told me during one of my many code clearing visits for other repairs) and my time is up for ignoring it.

When it was just a radio issue, I felt it unnecessary to spend the $1100 on the module replacement.

With the dash going out randomly and the SRS warning, it's no longer something to ignore.

I love my XC90, I plan to keep it until I run the wheels off of it - I haul a horse with it, three dogs, and have run back and forth from WA to AZ in it for years. I've put 100,000 of the 128k on it myself. I have become a pretty decent study of all of its reported - and have experienced first hand - issues. I have certainly done my share of expensive repairs beyond warranty, so, I'm not trying to subvert, just wanted to investigate and explore every possibility before having to go to the dealer, which, is several hours away. I was just looking for one last needle in the haystack before the inevitable visit which could possibly result in some bad news.

I appreciate everyone's feedback - I'll keep you posted!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry, I didn't read the full first post. If the gauges are going out, you are most likely going to need the DIM, which is also expensive.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SRS and DASH issues can be because of ICM (radio) module.
When it becomes out of work it breakes CAN network so DASH go out and SRS is registering errors.
Rebuild of this module should help.
You can try to disconnect it and see if you still have issues. But you need to restore CAN network to make other modules work.
To do that you need to short 2 twisted pairs (green&white) in the radio socket. Connect green with green and white with white.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Update on the disco radio and illuminations -

Yesterday, the dash light and/or gauges did not fail, SRS warning light and message still illuminated.
Yesterday, the high beams turned to low beams on their own, twice.
Yesterday, the heated seats illumination starting blinking (when, before, nothing below the stereo failed/blinked/disco'd, unlike everything on the radio part of the dash does)

Today, local mechanic is going to do an inspection. I'll have him read this thread as well.

A trip to the dealer is still in my future, though, as we obviously have a nasty module problem at the very least.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 AM

It possible u r having a network problem. U need vida too to see if u r having a lot of E000 or cem dtc. If u do take a look at the cem there may b water into it