General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Thinking about a new S-80? Read this!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a new S-80? Read this!

Our S-80 is our second Volvo. We keep them 5 - 6 years and sell outright or trade in on a new Volvo. We expected depreciation, but the Volvo dealership (Volvo of Richardson) insulted us with their trade-in offer of $8,000. This is the best they would do. We bought the car at their dealership a little over five years ago, brand new so it's a one-owner car. The sticker was for $41,000. since then:

Regular maintenance, always at their dealership. Every maintenance was done early or on schedule. (never late)
New tires 3,000 miles ago
Never in an accident, never required body work, only has a couple of car-door paint dings in parking lots, but much less than one would expect from a 5 year old car.
No hail damage, car kept under roof
only 35,000 total miles.

$8,000 trade in value ? I would have expected somethink like $15,000! Do they think that little of their own cars?

We were looking at buying a new XC-90, but now I'm not so sure that Volvo is the right car for us. If a $40,000 car depreciate to only $8,000 value in 36,000 miles, we bought the wrong brand of car. That dealership (and maybe the brand) has almost certainly lost my business.

Ken

Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about a new S-80? Read this!

I think your Dealership S@*@*.

The car would be auctioned for alot more than that.

Do you have another dealer close to you?

Old 01-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about a new S-80? Read this!

The best deal I ever got on a car was from a guy trading a 91 Accord in on a new Volvo. This was about six years ago, and the guy lived right down the road from me. I had a 16 year old daughter at the time and he had the car for sale by owner for more than I was willing to spend. I was looking for around $2500 for my daughter, which is more than enough for the first car for anybody. Well he called me at 10:00 one night and said Volvo would only give him $2500, and the wholesale on the car at that time was close to $4,000, WHOLESALE. I told him I would give him $3,000, but I just wasn't willing to spend more than that even though I know the car was worth more. He said somebody else was interested and blah blah. Trying to get me up in price, but I was serious about only spending $3,000. Called me back at 11:00 and said it was mine if I could have cashier's check to him in the morning. We would still have that car if it wasn't for the 12 point buck that totaled it.

I can't believe they are only offering you $8,000. Especially if you are a regular customer. You need to find another dealership. Even if you sell it outright on your own, I would not do business with that dealership, and I would tell them up front that's your stance. Play hard ball with them, and I'm betting they will come up with a better deal if you are looking to buy a brand new XC-90. The older S80's have really not held their value at all though. My daughter has a 99 that's not worth near what she owes on it and she only paid $13,800 for two years ago with only 40K on it at the time. Nice looking cars though, but they have had too many problems with them. I would not buy one that's for sure.