General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Towing a caravan with an old V70

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a caravan with an old V70

Hi, I'm a new member to the volvo forum. Thought I would get some advice on towing caravans with " senior" volvo V70's

I own a 2000 reg Volvo V70 2.4 PETROL. I've owned it for almost 3 years now and its in fantastic condition all round. One owner from new before me and fully maintained throughout. Been told by various independent mechanics its mint.
I'm not new to Volvos as owned an XC90 previously with ex.

We are planning on buying a single axle (older registration ) caravan next year. The spec in the booklet states the maximum towing weight as 1800kg. Obviously its an old car so we have decided to cap the laden weight at an absolute max at 1500kg but would prefer to get the weight under this.

QUESTION; Some " know it all" at work ( youngster whose parents own a caravan) has informed me today that my car wont be able to tow a caravan as its petrol????? my common sense tells me he's talking utter B%$llsh$t as my car holds some heavy weight with camping trips and manages perfectly well. Its just slower crawling up hills obviously.

Can anyone offer any advice or expel this myth for me please? All advice regards towing a caravan with an old Volvo much appreciated

Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable economical tow car?

I currently have a BMW525 auto petrol and although it is very reliable and tows my 4 berth caravan OK the fuel consumption is not good. I am looking round for a good used estate ( about 5 years old ) which will do everything the beamer does but a lot more economically, especially when using it without the caravan. Any suggestions what I should look at please.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest issue with towing a caravan is not the weight, it is the added wind resistance. Try to stay with a lower profile caravan or one that has a very aerodynamic front wall. Here in the US we have "pop ups" or "fold downs" that are at or below the height of the car roof when in tow mode, then open up with tenting to enclose the area when set up at a camp site. If you have that option you may want to consider it.