General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Transmission full rebuild vs just replace a few parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission full rebuild vs just replace a few parts?

Dashboard warning out of the blue, with no prior indicators, such as sounds of grinding or gears slipping. Few minutes later, a start from a stop consisted of acceleration sound without engagement. About an hour later, pushing past 40 mph disengaged gears, resulting in coasting. Nursed car home.

Reverse, and low gears 1 and 2 work intermittently.

Diagnostic computer says:
PO733 gear 3 incorrect ratio
PO740 torque converter clutch circuit / open

Fluid level is topped off. 2001 V70 XC automatic

Problem I need advice on: local transmission shops show no interest in addressing specific issues, want to default straightaway to full rebuild. Strikes me as a hoodwink. Am I right?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

No.

What happens when you pay labor to remove the trans, take it apart, replace just the 3rd gear clutches, reassemble and reinstall and then 2nd gear goes out 5000 miles later? Go back to the trans shop and complain? That's why no one will take on such a liability.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ES6T
No.

What happens when you pay labor to remove the trans, take it apart, replace just the 3rd gear clutches, reassemble and reinstall and then 2nd gear goes out 5000 miles later? Go back to the trans shop and complain? That's why no one will take on such a liability.
That is true facts. But however I want to point out I have found that the springs are the most cause from trans failures and they don't get replaced with new ones. Trans rebuilders usally don't replace them. So the broken one does but not the others that already have 100k plus on them. So you still are taking chances on any rebuild. UNLESS you point blank make them replace all the springs with new its still a toss up. Doing it right is the name of the game. One of the signs of springs going bad is longer shift times between upshifts,or you have to let up on accel to **** sooner. Catch it early saves parts. Springs are not included in kits unless major added kits are purchased. I would say Volvo springs only. springs are about quality dirt free heat treated wire. China LMFAO. China is good ONLY when the buyers quality control system stays on top on them. China is smart they know how to make something look good work for a short time and broke again. Key costly elements are removed such as Nickel, Chrome, and costly heat treating ,so you have to watch them. Springs are a lot more involved then people realize.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the response. I am currently pricing transmissions at various part yards. Buying/shipping my own transmission to a shop and paying them only for the labour to extract/install looks like about half the price of having the shop find a transmission on their own.

The more reputable merchants offer 6 month, 1 year, 2 year warranties, but my big fear is actually trying to activate such a warranty in the event of failure. BUT I have been burned before by warranties that are mere window dressing, and a valid claim is blown off. The regulatory agency overseeing such insurance in the US is in bed with them.

As Star suggests, I am reasonably confident that my transmission problem could be addressed by some minor work, owing to the fact that the symptoms included none of the loud grinding noise attendant on full failure. I have always been against our throw-away society, where a small part fails and instead of pin-point repair, a much larger module is replaced. But I acknowledge that this is the world I live in.