General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

V50 A/C Drain clogged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V50 A/C Drain clogged Need Help

I have a 2005 V50 and I believe the A/C drain may be clogged as everytime I run the AC the floor behind the passenger seat gets soaked and it looks like water is coming out of the vent under that seat. Can someone tell me where the drain is and how to clear it out.
Thanks

Last edited by moto459; 08-25-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

The drain is behind the dash. The best way to clean it out is with some compressed air.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by fcpgroton
The drain is behind the dash. The best way to clean it out is with some compressed air.
There is no need for compressed air.
Pull the front section of carpet up from the center console (passenger side) You will see a black rubber hose going from the box to the tunnel, passing through the tunnel via a white plastic 90* elbow. The elbow tends to become clogged with debris from leaves etc. that get past the cabin filter. remove and clean the 90* elbow. Also check the heat sheild while the elbow is out. There have been issues with some of the P1 cars where the exhaust heat shield/insulation is too close to the drain opening and tends to collect the moisture and swell up, when this happens it blocks the opening and clogs the drain from the outside.
If you are noticing moisture in you carpet it is guaranteed that the foam under the carpet in the rear and right front are full of water. I would pull the right front carpet and the rear carpet and hang them in the sun or a warm dry area with a fan blowing on them to allow them to dry thoroughly.
Also make sure you have had your cabin filter changed recently. Volvo updated the filter design a while ago to prevent debris from getting around the filter.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Thank You!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:29 AM

Just to say that I had noticed the rear footwell behind drivers seat was getting wet. Condensation had also been appearing through the dashboard vents when aircon on. Investigated this morning and discovered drivers footwell is soaked too (though dry to the touch). Peeled back the carpet and removed the white plastic elbow and discovered it was completely clogged up. Rinsed under a tap and placed back. Had water pouring from the vertical black pipe attached to it so be careful to ensure you let excess water drain back through the central consol hole. Will check to see if problem now solved and hope carpets will dry out with time, but many thanks for the excellent advice on this problem.

Originally Posted by volvo4mula
There is no need for compressed air.
Pull the front section of carpet up from the center console (passenger side) You will see a black rubber hose going from the box to the tunnel, passing through the tunnel via a white plastic 90* elbow. The elbow tends to become clogged with debris from leaves etc. that get past the cabin filter. remove and clean the 90* elbow. Also check the heat sheild while the elbow is out. There have been issues with some of the P1 cars where the exhaust heat shield/insulation is too close to the drain opening and tends to collect the moisture and swell up, when this happens it blocks the opening and clogs the drain from the outside.
If you are noticing moisture in you carpet it is guaranteed that the foam under the carpet in the rear and right front are full of water. I would pull the right front carpet and the rear carpet and hang them in the sun or a warm dry area with a fan blowing on them to allow them to dry thoroughly.
Also make sure you have had your cabin filter changed recently. Volvo updated the filter design a while ago to prevent debris from getting around the filter.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:50 PM

Thank you volo4mula, followed your instructions,found the white elbow and pulled it off. It was totally clogged up with mud and debris. ( 4 year old S40 ). Cleaned it and put it back on. Water pooling in back seat fixed.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 PM

Can anyone tell me how to pry off the black 90 degree elbow. I didn't want to break it.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:15 PM
Default How to pull off the carpet?

I have the same issue and I am stuck in the instructions at the first step. How does one pull off the front section of the carpet?

Originally Posted by Jezza25
Thank you volo4mula, followed your instructions,found the white elbow and pulled it off. It was totally clogged up with mud and debris. ( 4 year old S40 ). Cleaned it and put it back on. Water pooling in back seat fixed.