General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

V70 SRS Red, immobilized

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 04:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry V70 SRS Red, immobilized

Hello all:

My 2007 V70 2.5T has only 27K mi,, very well serviced.

Yesterday, it would not start or allow shift out of park, key is blocked in positions past #1, #2, due to red airbag system light.
The SRS monitors airbags, passenger seat occupancy Sensors, seat belt latch etc. Any sensor or connection in the system sets the fail light.
I checked connectors in the electrical box and seats, disconnected battery, recharged battery, tried the simple reset procedure.1/Anyone else had this and found a solution?

2/ The normal OBDII dongles cannot access or fix safety related seat belt, airbag, etc. Only OBDII can diagnose and reset.
Ordered iCarsoft Auto Diagnostic Scanner V200 V2.0 for VOLVO/SAAB
Amazon Amazon
Any members ever use this one or other OBDII that can access and fix the SRS?

3/ The steering wheel contains a unique and very costly Volvo "clock spring" instead of slip rings, for connecting all circuits in the steering column to the steering wheel axis
That $800 part failed perhaps 7 ago and Volvo replaced it under extended service, perhaps it has failed again?

Any clews or similar failure experience is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your kind assistance!

Jean-Paul

Old 04-04-2021, 09:14 AM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean-Paul
Yesterday, it would not start or allow shift out of park, key is blocked in positions past #1, #2, due to red airbag system light.
If I am interpreting your problem correctly - in that the key won't turn to the start position.

The SRS system is not preventing the key from turning to the start position. That is usually due to a bad steering column lock. If the key turns far enough to get the steering column to unlock, if needed you can get the car to start and into gear to be able to move the car into a better position to replace the steering column lock. (by removing the ignition switch and unlocking the shift lever)

If that's the problem - the solution is to order from Volvo a new steering column lock using your VIN. Volvo has a record of the key code and will manufacture a new lock that will utilize your existing key. The process takes just a few days (here in the US)

Old 04-04-2021, 09:42 AM

Hello and many thanks:

Upon turning ignition, pos i and II the red airbag system symbol lights for 5 sec.
No alpha messages on the left side readout.
Transmission is locked in Park, cannot turn key past vertical position to start.
Steering column is locked.

Is the SRS light a cause of the locking or a symptom?

Could the bad clockspring replacement years ago be involved?

Best Regards,

Jon

Old 04-04-2021, 10:00 AM

Transmission is locked in Park, cannot turn key past vertical position to start.
Steering column is locked.

Is the SRS light a cause of the locking or a symptom?

Could the bad clockspring replacement years ago be involved?
A common failure is the Steering column lock (that the key tumbler is part of). Something breaks inside and prevents the key from turning all the way.
SRS problems or a bad clockspring will can not prevent the key from turning to the start position. And if the airbag light goes out - the system has passed it's start up test - and there is nothing wrong with it.

If you want to start the car to verify it still runs - take the plastic steering column cover off (covers the wiper/turn signal switches and the key lock). 2-3 torx screws on the bottom removes it. That exposes the electrical portion of the ignition switch on the left side. Remove the 2 torx screw holding it to the steering column lock. You can now use a screwdriver to turn that switch and start the car. As I mentioned earlier - if the key turns far enough to release the steering column lock there is an easy way to get the shifter to move to reposition the car for better access to replace the steering column lock. Replacement requires drilling out or cutting the security bolts - those bolts are visible once you remove the steering column cover.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:08 AM

Hello again : UPDATE 09.00 4 Apr:

To précise the symptom:

Trans locked in Park,

Ignition switch ONLY goes to pos I NOT II or III.

All steering col controls and stalks work OK

Tilt steering wheel and try to turn a bit, no change

Applied graphite to lock and keys, jiggled keys and steering wheel, all 3 keys same result. Keys are not visibly worn.

When first placed in POS I, panel lights up, but NO error messages on left side readout.

Right side indicator panel has ONLY the seat/airbag red light on for ~ 5 sec, then it extinguishes.

Normally as ignition is on pos II or III start, all the indicators on right illuminate as a test.

I now cannot believe its an SRS issue or electronic and that the red SRS light is a symptom, not the cause. And I doubt the clockspring which was replaced 7 yrs back

Last, I now recall that I had a few lockup occasions of steering wheel or ignition switch years back but just jiggling fixed it.

I am not capable to fix this myself, but seek advise what measures I can use to diagnose further or even fix it before I must get it towed to the

(very bad and expensive) Volvo dealer.

Appreciate your sage advise!

Jon

Panel on ig sw POS I

Old 04-04-2021, 12:22 PM

I am not capable to fix this myself, but seek advise what measures I can use to diagnose further or even fix it before I must get it towed to the (very bad and expensive) Volvo dealer.
Yes my suggestions from earlier
"If you want to start the car to verify it still runs - take the plastic steering column cover off (covers the wiper/turn signal switches and the key lock). 2-3 torx screws on the bottom removes it. That exposes the electrical portion of the ignition switch on the left side. Remove the 2 torx screw holding it to the steering column lock. You can now use a screwdriver to turn that switch and start the car. As I mentioned earlier - if the key turns far enough to release the steering column lock there is an easy way to get the shifter to move to reposition the car for better access to replace the steering column lock. Replacement requires drilling out or cutting the security bolts - those bolts are visible once you remove the steering column cover."

and

"If that's the problem - the solution is to order from Volvo a new steering column lock using your VIN. Volvo has a record of the key code and will manufacture a new lock that will utilize your existing key. The process takes just a few days (here in the US)"

It is easy to get the shifter to move also - with the correct technique. With the shifter free you can get the car on a wrecker/tow truck easier, with the engine running it can be driven onto the truck.

If it's simply a bad ignition lock - the car does not have to be towed to a dealer. Any competent garage should be able to undo a few screws, drill out 2 bolts, install the new lock, and put everything back together. Hopefully vacuuming up the metal shavings produced drilling the heads off the bolts. As I mentioned ordering from your VIN is essential. If you purchase a generic lock - the key will not be matched to your car and the immobilizer will prevent the car from starting until a Volvo VIDA subscription holder programs your car to accept the new key. And that would generally be a Volvo Dealer only.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:26 PM

Hoonk, many thanks again

A new clew: As I turn the key past off, I hear and feel a solenoid engage holding the shifter. Another but perhaps different sound and feeling in the shifter when I press the brake.

Perhaps this is normal?

Also I am now unsure if ignition lock or perhaps the linkage/interlock from transmission shifter and the neutral safety....cant move shifter at all!

"if the key turns far enough to release the steering column lock(YES) there is an easy way to get the shifter to move to reposition the car ....

How to free up the transmission shifter stuck in Park?

Opening the steering column and replacing the cylinder is a bit beyond my capabilities...

Kind Regards,

Jon

Old 04-04-2021, 04:25 PM

I hear and feel a solenoid engage holding the shifter. Another but perhaps different sound and feeling in the shifter when I press the brake.

Perhaps this is normal?

How to free up the transmission shifter stuck in Park?
There is an electric solenoid you can feel clicking on the shifter if you put your foot on the brake. That's normal.

How to free up shifter. First Make sure the Hand brake is set - You don't want the car rolling off.

In the first diagram take #31 off on the drivers (left) side of the center console. It's held on with item #32, a quarter turn plastic screw. 1/4 turn comes loose, panel pulls off.

Then from the 2nd diagram reach under the console and lift the circled "spool" from the "fork" it is secured in. Then with the key turned as much as possible, your foot on the brake (and handbrake set) push or pull that black cable the spool is on. That will allow you to push the **** on the shifter and put it into neutral if you want to roll the car. As I mentioned if you can get in out of park (and the steering column is not locked) , you can start and drive the car (short distances, windows and stuff won't work) by removing the cover and the ignition switch and using a screwdriver to turn the switch.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:40 PM

Hello again

Is there a shifter release button, none on the console and under the cover plate fasia nothing obvious?

Many thanks again,

Jon

Old 04-05-2021, 06:20 AM

No...