Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Can't turn key

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't turn key

I have a 2000 Volvo V40. I can't turn the key. It has a little motion but I can't even turn it to position 1. I have the whole steering housing open. I took off the shift lock cable so that isn't preventing it from turning. I have taken the ignition switch off of the end of the ignition lock housing and with a screw driver I can turn the ignition switch but the car doesn't turn over. I didn't really expect that to work since it would make the car easy to steal. The electrical system does turn on (lights, radio, dashboard lights) when I use the screwdriver and it does show that the immobilizer is on, which I can reset by locking/unlocking the car 5 times with the remote. Still, the key won't turn. Not sure if this is a valid way to do it but I also did a circuit test of the antenna ring which shows a complete circuit. Do I need a new ignition lock housing? I've read they need to be drilled out and is very difficult to do properly. Any suggestions please.

Thanks,
-Ian

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 AM

I have narrowed the problem down to the tumbler/ignition lock housing. The key will still not turn in the ignition... but... if the key is in the ignition, I can turn the electrical portion of the ignition switch with a screwdriver and the car will start and function. My problem is since the key is stuck in position 0, the steering wheel wants to lock up. There is just enough wiggle room with the key that if I hold it forward the steering wheel won't lock... obviously this is a lame and dangerous way to drive. So my question; is there a way to replace/fix just the tumbler/ignition lock housing without having to reprogram the whole system to a new key? ... Or... is there a way to take out the steering wheel lock mechanism? I am broke as a joke right now and I can't afford the $500-$600 price a couple of mechanics have quoted me to replace the entire unit.
Thanks,
-Ian

Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Default same car, same problem

We have the same thing with our 2000 v40. Based on what I'm seeing in other threads, it must be the ignition cylinder lock. I'm planning to order a new one. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM

If you've encountered the same problem and in case anyone is interested in the poorman's fix and you are willing to sacrifice your steering wheel lock and you have a little extra time and you are a DIY'er... then read on. First of all, to the best of my knowledge there is no repair manual available for the 2000 V40. Apparently it is on cd-rom and I couldn't find one.

Once you have the steering column open, take off all the electrical components, the shift lock cable that attaches to the bottom of the cylinder lock housing and then take off the lever that locks the vertical position of the steering column so you can lower it more than it normally allows. Further down the shaft is a U shaped piece that if you loosen the two bolts will allow the column to come down even further. Take out the whole speedometer/rpm display (just a few screws and it easily unplugs) so you can fit a drill in the space above the ignition lock housing. I drilled the the two bolts that hold the cylinder lock housing to the steering shaft with a 1/8" bit going no more than half an inch into the bolt and used a screw extractor to reverse the bolts out - I thought this was going to be the scariest part but was actually quite easy since the bolts are pretty soft metal and aren't all that tight. A lightly magnetized screwdriver bit will get the metal shavings out.
Here is basically what you are doing:
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/ignition_S80.html
except I didn't have to remove the steering wheel.

Once I had the cylinder lock housing in hand, I had to drill out the plate under the steering wheel lock which meant the spring for the steering wheel lock had nothing to push against. At this point there are a couple of openings into the thing so I poked a bendable wire all around and finally dislodged what was preventing the key from turning. I could now turn the key. If you put your key in position 1, there is a recessed button along the side where the antenna ring attaches that you can press and slide the tumbler out. I found the darned piece that was causing the trouble... it was a thin, curved piece that looked easily breakable. With the tumbler out I took out the steering wheel lock since it was no longer useable.

Reassembly is pretty easy. I reused the original bolts to hold the lock housing by using a hack saw to cut slits in the tops for a screwdriver, again easy to do because of the soft metal.

I realize the security of the car is a little compromised now and if I could afford to just buy a new one and have the whole system recoded I would, but I can't afford it right now, plus I'm not too worried about the car being stolen given it's age and I never would have been able to post this long ***, confusing description up that no one will probably ever use to fix their same problem. I had to share my fixed-it joy with someone since my wife doesn't care for the details.

-Ian

Old 08-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Default Can't turn key

Hi,

I've just read your entries regarding the Volvo S40 that the key won't turn. Did you ever find the answer? My car is doing the same thing now. The key will turn to position 2 but not on to position 3 to start. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Default Check the drive shift release button

This is a quick 5 second check....
The drive shift lever's release button must not be pressed in when turning the key in the ignition due to a safety/security feature.

Possibly due to a wore out spring in the shift lever release button, the button sometimes doesn't pop back out enough. This will prevent the key from turning.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Default FYI On Repair Manual

Hi,
Just thought I'd let you know that I just bought a Haynes repair manual for my 2000 V40 on Amazon for around $30. It's a pretty awesome book compared to the "Vadis" that is on CD (I also have Vadis)
Vadis is light to none on "how to" step by step photos, and it also seems to assume that it's user is a certified Volvo mechanic as a pre-requesite. I recommend you google or search to find the 2000 V40 Haynes manual.