General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo Delemmia

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Delemmia

I have been driving a 240 wagon with a 5 speed manual transmission for about 9 years. About 3 months ago I had a rear end collision, that is, I hit someones rear. Now the wagon is off the road with damage and I am driving a 240 sedan with automatic. The wagon is repairable, it needs fenders, grill, lights, hood and paint. I have been keeping an eye on craigslist for a good, poorly running 240 for parts. I haven't found the right one yet. While I was looking I came across an 850 wagon with a manual transmission. It looks good. It's still a Volvo and it would require a lot less work.

I am asking you which way should I go. Keep in mind I am a 240 guy. 240's are solid, gets 30 mpg (with the 5 speed), and have good roof gutters for racks. My wagon has 365k miles on it so it has been broken in. It has been well taken care of. Mechanically, everything is good including rear bushings and a new clutch.

I am not too familiar with 850 but have learned that they also sturdy. Obvious benefits of 850's would include front wheel drive, abs, airbags and air conditioning that can be repaired.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Repair or dump

240 guy, I'll give you my opinion. Keep the 245; and here's why. It sounds like you have a place to store the 245 while waiting for the right "parts" to come along, and you have another car to drive. It's not like you only have the one car and an apartment carport to do the work in. If the 245 is as you say well maintained, you are dealing with a known entity. If the body is otherwise sound with a decent interior, you have a desirable car. An 850 that you get off Craigslist could have a whole lot of issues that lead the owner to sell it.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 PM

Thanks Sambar. That is the direction that I am going at this point. I found some fenders hood and grill. They are black so I am going to have to paint it. It may be an opportunity to improve the car.

I like the 5 speed manual transmission in the 240 and it is difficult to find in the newer cars. I will get pictures of the progress and try to post them on the 240 page when I get a chance. I am waiting for the weather to get better and some household project to clear up.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 PM

Besides, how can I call myself 240 guy if I am driving a 850 or V70?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps.....

Before I got my 240 I gave it a long thought, part of my decision was what I could see my self driving, what did I want to spend my time and money on and what would I have when it was finished. The final outcome is what appealed to me the most. As just a daily driver I may have picked something newer,something with a little more hp. However that would not have made me happy. I love the 240 wagon aka 245 its dated but cool. The only other ones I liked were even older ...amazon, 1800 wagon, 122's etc. But getting parts for those was not something I wanted to do plus the cost of getting one was just out of reach. It took me a long time to make up my mind but when I did I knew with out a doubt that the 240 was going to be my project car. Trust me when I say a nice 245 will get more heads to turn then any other of the newer cars in my yard. I am an artist and when I see a 245 I don't see a stock 245 I see what could be the car I have always wanted. If your drawn to a 245 don't fight it, you will be in your v70 looking at a 245 saying dammit man.

This image is off the web I set it as my desk top when I was stuck maybe its what you need right now as you look at your broken steed.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 PM

You know, you are right about both the 240 and the envy that I would have at seeing a 245 like yours. Nice car. It looks great! I also have a Yakima roof rack. I am going ahead with my 240 project. One good thing is that I can drive my 240 sedan while the wagon is getting worked on. There is no rush.

Thanks for the help guys. I was leaning that way and your input made it final.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP: If you want to learn about 850s, hang out in that section.

IMO the 850 is the best car volvo ever built; FWIW.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a take on a '92 245 with 116,000 miles on it. Just waiting on the guy to LET IT GO ALREADY!!! Has been sitting in his garage for the past 5 years. Use to be his moms car.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not my car 240guy, I can't tease you with mine because its in the garage with the front up on jack stands getting rebuilt slowly. I agree with g-dog that the 850 is a better car but when it comes to styling and or that classic look the 850 falls short. Like I said if all I wanted was a daily driver a more modern volvo would be my car of choice. When I decided what car I wanted I had to look past the 114hp , the tall pick up truck stance, and the little itty bitty tires that don't quite fit the car. Easy fix ..install the T5 Engine , IPD lowering springs, 16" tellus wheels. Its really hard for me not to be bias and or show my excitement and love of a 240/245 because a custom wagon has always been my dream. I hope you know what you got there 245 5 speeds are getting very hard to come by I had to search hi and low to find one.

Oh by the way here is my 240 project Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum - John Arsenault's Album: My 240 Project