General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo engine replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volvo engine replacement question

I have a 1995 Volvo 940 non-turbo with a fatally damaged engine. I would like to know if it is possible to replace the engine with a 1993 Volvo 240 engine that I managed to acquire. The most obvious difference I notice is that the 940 engine has the distributor on the head and the 240 engine has the in-block distributor. My question is can I make a straight swap using the in-block distributor and not encounter any ignition, computer, wiring or any other issues?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 940 non-turbo engine replacement question

No one responded to my question on this forum, so I posted it elsewhere and I did get two responses - one from VCOA and another from turbobricks. Interestingly, a poster on VCOA said it would be impossible, the computer wouldn't work, the transmission wouldn't mate, etc. etc. However, a turbobricks poster had a very different response which I will repeat below:

"The engine is literally the same. Same: block, head, crank, rods, pistons, intake, exhaust etc. The only difference is the auxiliary shaft, cam shaft and distributor. The 240 auxiliary shaft has a distributor drive gear built into it. The 940 aux shaft doesn't. It isn't quite as easy to put the 940 engine into a 240 because the head mount distributor won't clear the firewall, therefore, the auxiliary shaft has to be swapped into the 940 engine in order to run the block mount distributor. A 940 cam has a slot cut in the back of it to drive the head mount distributor, the 240 cam doesn't have that slot. Those are the differences. The engines can be swapped both directions with minor retrofitting. In your case, it will just require the different coil since you don't mind changing to a block mount distributor set up. Whoever told you the computer won't work and the trans won't mate doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Quit listening to them."

I hope that this post might help someone who needs to replace their 940 engine and only a 240 engine is available. It is an easy retrofit.