General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Volvo noob, please school me

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Volvo noob, please school me

Hey guys, like I said in the new member area, i'm new to the game and looking at the C30 and newest generation S40. My main concern for this vehicle is reliability and longevity. My friends have various generation volvo's that date way back and have had different issues with all of them. What I want to know is will the C30 or newest S40's last me as far as drive train goes? which is better with volvos, a auto or manual? I know other parts will wear out like say water pumps and altenators but I'm more concerned with things like head gaskets, oil leaks, and transmission problems. So please, SCHOOL ME!! and thank you

Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Not up on the newer models...

Well, I'm not up on the newer models, pre-Ford, but I have had several older ones, one purchased new. My favorite to date was the new one, probably because we had history, a '87 740GLE purchased duty free in Japan. When I sold it to a single mom that needed a ride 3 years ago it had over 405k on it. Pretty much looked like it did when new. With very little care these cars can last FOREVER. You will get rid of it because you just want a change, not because you are tired of the problems.

A few things that may not be attractive going in but you will appreciate in the long run are the comfort of the seats. I love to drive and being able to run a 18 hour haul from OKC to Pittsburgh was refreshing to step out of the car without any body pain (just mental strain). Another thing is the safety. From the ability to step out of the car after an accident to the ability to see other things and aviod an accident it priceless. Just picked up a turbo model for my daughter and now view the turbo as a safety feature. And if you are a "tinkerer", most models that I have seen are easy to work on, made for the machanic to get in and out with ease.

Kinda wish Volvo made laptop computers so I wouldn't go through them so fast. Move forward based on the PRE-FORD model. I have a friend that has driven trucks, Firebirds and other hard core American cars that now drives a S60. He claims that is by far the best car he has ever had.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the input, I look forward to test drives I drive a ford ranger right now and i'm just about at my boiling point with the amount of repairs, it does have 207k on it but the things that are breaking are things like emergency brake cables, and door handles and things that really annoy the crap out of me.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Yeah, all the Pre-Ford models ('98 and previous) are amazing. I would suggest the S70...and make sure you get a GLT or T5 so that you can have the turbocharger on it. But as far as the C30 and S40 goes...they're Volvos...they'll last you and be dependent. Of course each model has its own little quirks and problems...but whatever you decide to buy will be a wise purchase.