General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

volvo sunroofs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo sunroofs?

hey guys, Hello.

i am new to the board, and i joined to ask you for some info and advice. i am a muscle car guy, but hear me out here...im not confused about which board i am on. LOL.

ive got a 74 dodge charger, and i am wanting to add a sunroof to it. Guys in my circle are advising that the volvo sunroofs are the right shape and size. Im looking into gettting a donor from a salvage car, but i wanted to ask, are there any realiability issues with them at all? Im looking at the late 80s at the oldest, and mid 90s to early 2000s, for a glass roof that pops up and slides down inside.

is there anything i need to be aware of, or any in particular to avoid?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

On the 900 series cars I have noticed that the seals around the edges of the glass goes bad and leaks water through the seam. I have heard that it's pretty hard to replace the seal but have not done it myself. I usually clean the area real good and add a bead of silicone around it which did the trick for me.

Also, you should know that Volvo does not seal their sunroofs, they use drain chanels to drain off the little bit of water that gets past the seal.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Also, you should know that Volvo does not seal their sunroofs, they use drain chanels to drain off the little bit of water that gets past the seal.
True of all auto sunroofs; not just volvo.. fyi.

Re: original poster's question; from what I've seen volvo sunroofs are as good as any and better than most.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info, I wasn't sure what reception I was goin to get coming in here and saying, hey, I want to cut up a Volvo. Lol. Anyway, I am planning to take some of tye surrounding sheetmetal, so I'm not trying to create a hole to fit the glass into.
Your comments bring up a curiosity for me, I do know they use drain tubes, but how do they seal? If the don't truly seal, then how do they keep major water out and wind out?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

They fit in the hole pretty tight, just directs what little water that does get by into the drain channels.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM

If I were doing it, I would pull all the interior trim and headliner; then you will see the plumbing for the drains (and not accidentally cut through them w/your cutting torch..).

I don't have a diagram for them, but think there are front drains going down the A pillars and rear drains going down the B or C pillars.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 PM

I definitely plan to pull the Interior trim. I'm going to try to save the drain tubes and wiring, etc. I do restoration work, including upholstery, so ill probably try to use the headliner...for a pattern, if nothing else. What is the earliest glass sunroof that pops up AND slides to the inside?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Charger_440
What is the earliest glass sunroof that pops up AND slides to the inside?
Don't know if it's the earliest, but my '98 S70 has one.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM

just a curiosity, Does ur 98...or Volvos in general have the safety feature where if it bumps ur hand or something it'll reverse?