General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

What could I get/what would you pay? 2000 V70XC that needs engine work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could I get/what would you pay? 2000 V70XC that needs engine work.

I'm not sure this is the place to post this, or if there is even a place for this to go, but it's worth a shot....

I got a good deal on this car a little while ago. I haven't had it long but I really like it, but I'm kind of stuck right now.

Started smoking on me one day (white smoke, coolant) while driving home. Had a crack in one of the plastic radiator tanks. After swapping the radiator I tried adding coolant and noticed another leak. Unfortunately it is coming from the head area -- probably the gasket, or maybe the head warped. I'm not going to bring it to a shop to get it done, don't have the money. It's an involved task but totally doable for someone who knows how to do it and has the time. It turns over but doesn't want to start.

The interior and exterior are good, all electronics work, drove great, brakes good, tires still have life in them. 137xxx miles -- I don't know the car's full history, but I know the last couple who owned it live in a nice part of town and owned it for the last 10 years. It looks like it was taken care of well, but it's hard to say.

I really don't want to get rid of this car, but I've gotten myself into a bit of a hole and need a car that runs ASAP so I can get back on the road. If this car was driving I could try to sell it for $3500 or so.

But I'm looking at selling it just because it will get me driving again faster than fixing it. If I end up keeping it I'll likely end up driving it for years to come -- once it's running again.

So, my questions are: What, realistically, can I get for this car with the work it's going to need to get it driving again? What's the most you would pay, and what would you more realistically like to pay? What's the lowest I should take for it, and what should I be trying to get?

Thanks for all answers! Trying to figure this whole mess out.